Slow Starting Issue

slybunda

hey all, noticed over the last 2 days now that the engine seems to run over a lot slower when starting. it does start up but doesnt seem to have the same sort of energy as it used to when starting it used to spin the starter motor quicker. granted i havent driven the car for nearly 2 weeks but iv let it go longer in the past and it started up faster.

started it today it started first time but did crank over a lot slower than it used to.

could this is be the start motor on its way out or the battery on its last legs? 

battery is the same one that came with the car iv never replaced it since iv had the car. its a halfords one iv had the car for nearly 4 years so the battery is bound to be over 4 years old.

cool, u mentioned of other types of batteries? is there anything thats good for someone who doesnt drive the car often? a deep cycle type of battery or something that wont die as quick?

or is it just best for me to buy an exide 005 model battery with 4 year warranty for £53?

35 minutes ago, slybunda said:

cool, u mentioned of other types of batteries? is there anything thats good for someone who doesnt drive the car often? a deep cycle type of battery or something that wont die as quick?

or is it just best for me to buy an exide 005 model battery with 4 year warranty for £53?

sorry i meant you used to get the maintenance type but now most batteries are sealed units..always go for a heavy duty one 

Edited by celica1977

Yeh this sounds like the battery slowly on its way out. You can check the cranking power with a multimeter as you turn it over to see what voltage you get. But this really does sound like a battery.. I'm 99.9% sure :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Does seem to be the battery. Let engine run in morning for good 45mins today. Came back after work and it cranked up fine a quick. 

Will be going on holiday now so car gonna be parked up for 4 weeks. Will disconnect the battery while im gone. Will just get a new one when i get back.

Wonder if these new start stop car batteries are any good. They seems to cost a lot.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.