Welcome to Celica Club UK

Welcome to Celica Club UK, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Use the wealth of knowledge our members have to help with any questions you may have.

Sign in to follow this  
sherington

Terraclean or Terrorclean?

Question

Hi All,

My trusty 140 is on 191,000 miles now and hasn’t let me down once.

I’m going to service it pretty soon and I was thinking about having a Terraclean service done at the same time.

Has anyone here had it done & does it work/placebo effect?

I’ve seen mixed opinions about it on them internets.

A friend of mine has suggested that getting rid of ‘helpful’ gunk could be detrimental.

To be fair, most of the write ups I’ve read are for ‘western’ engines, particularly Vauxhall ones, which let’s face it, are truly rubbish (I’m a seasoned former Vauxhall owner).

Cheers,

Sher

Edited by sherington
Formatting

7 answers to this question

I have always been in the school of thought that its always possible to dislodge something that has been minding its own business and it could create another issue.Especially in engines that have been running happily for 10+ years.

• Like 1

if it aint broke dont fix it

engines that have had regular oil changes are generally good inside.

If you want to do something extra, drop the sump and clean it out and clean the gauze

• Like 1

I agree with whats been said . Derren hit the nail on the head about dislodging something that other wise would have never caused a problem if left alone.

• Like 2

I recall Ed China using it on one of the cars on Wheeler Dealers. Certainly, the before and after figures on his exhaust gas analyser showed a marked improvement immediately after he done it, but what does that mean? There are certainly some products on the market that are used  a day or two before an MoT to pep up an old engine/catalyst to get a pass. Quite how those work, I'm not sure. As for Terraclean, I'll give that a pass. 

there is a place near me that does it.  I watched it once when I was in the next industrial unit.  The absolute sheer brutality of it puts me off.  HUGE amounts of white smoke, I heard misfires, chunks coming out the exhaust, fast idling for long periods let alone the interference to the fuel lines and connectors - ill pass

I went with brother to get this done on his 530D. Seemed quite a well thought out process only made better buy a great explanation by the mechanic. We definitely saw an increase in MPG but that could be because it was high mileage diesel. Not sure I'd get it done to my Celica.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sign in to follow this