to cat or not to cat. that is the question

AlexD

When looking up to find out if I needed a cat or not found the following.

www.gtfours.co.uk/images/mot-cat.gif

And this image.  

mot-cat.gif

So basically as the gen 5 are gtr not gti and the gen 6 areareSSI SSII etc not GT ST SR, they technically can't be tested for having a cat. I'm also aware that if you get a letter from toyota stating the car was not made for UK market that they have to use a non cat test standard. I'm away to fleabay to order a nice stainless steel decay.

When it comes to the Imports some garages will accept this......others wont!

I had been using the same garage for years and when I got my Import SS-II Beams I argued the toss with them that it should not be CAT tested as a non UK engine but they would not have it as the engine code (and that seems to be the clincher in most garages eye's) is still 3S-GE.....and 3S-GE is of course listed in the emissions book.

However I know of a fellow member with a SS-II standard 3S-GE engine and his garage have done non CAT tests from day 1 simply because its an Import without any question.....therefor he don't rock the boat. LoL.

As to getting a letter out of Toyota...........GOOD LUCK!!!!! Many have tried and I'm yet to hear of anyone succeeding!

If your set on going De-Cat then you will need to find a more understanding garage that will accept the car for non CAT test......but also accept the circumstances if it gets challenged legally at a latter date and your found to be in the wrong.

On the engine issue the JDM 3sge is different to theuk no egr. So that would be grounds for a no cat?. in or northern Ireland we don't have garages. MOT centres are Government owned an run. I've no less than two brother-I-nlaws that are MOT inspectors. Going to run it past them be certain. But ive a 1990 gtr which cleary doesnt need cat by year.not sure if it has one or not. My gen6 has and im dying to get rid of it.

Edited by AlexD

I too am of the opinion that a non cat test is appropriate.  Finding an Mot tester who will listen too your argument is a different story. Although the engine code is the same as a uk spec model, the ECU map will be different to run on higher octane Jap fuel.  This means it wont be found on the database. Mot testers aren't supposed to have an opinion, they follow the flow diagrams as shown above. Some also don't like being told they are wrong. Talk to some different testing stations and see what they say before you book.

11 hours ago, pappy_77 said:

I too am of the opinion that a non cat test is appropriate.  Finding an Mot tester who will listen too your argument is a different story. Although the engine code is the same as a uk spec model, the ECU map will be different to run on higher octane Jap fuel.  This means it wont be found on the database. Mot testers aren't supposed to have an opinion, they follow the flow diagrams as shown above. Some also don't like being told they are wrong. Talk to some different testing stations and see what they say before you book.

You've hit the nail on the head, the key here is to find a MOT tester that knows his stuff and will test it as an import, like you say most will just look at the year on the number plate and will say it needs a cat. Dorris

• Like 1

Alex I have a guted cat here you can have cheap, still looks like its fitted so mot can't say shit :)

also my Glanzlet passed last year with a straight through to back box system so work that out haha

Nice to Know. How you getting on with your Gen 5?  I've stripped my doner and about to dump the shell. Any odd bit or pieces you might need?. I've plans for some of the parts, but if I don't have a plan or need, your welcome to them.   And I do mean fully stripped.

There was a test change something like six years ago and rules on a cat test are simple, if your car came from the factory fitted with a cat, guess what! No matter how much you argue that its an import or not etc etc, its going to have to have a cat test. Unless you can find an mot tester willing to put another car through or run a non cat test (after all who has ever had there mot certificate checked out?) But i will have a cat fitted to my project build as without wishing to sound like a tree hugging hippy (which i am not) I care about the health of my daughter and the world i will leave behind, i dont want to add to an already poluted world for her and her generation to clean up......and there isnt that much of a difference, after removing the cat for the same reason as everyone else come mot time i put it back on, couldnt really tell the difference and ran the car for six+ years without having to worry about the mot, or putting the cat back on etc etc.

• Like 2

My mechanic told me that without the cat you can gleam a bit more brake horsepower at higher revs, however the cat gives the car more torque and 'pull-away power, which [depending upon the individual] is often the better option.

You can take my word for it after all i'm crazy for cats LOL!  :lol:

Debs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.