Hey again guys! Celica track car question.

Long time no speak :)

Right. I'm thinking of getting a track car soon, and initial thoughts were an MX-5 Mk1. It's light weight, 2 seats, rear wheel drive and very cheap. I'd have to spend a little bit of cash to get it track ready but that's fine.

But then, my father in law who owns my old blue Celica said he'd give me first refusal when he sells it. Now this has made me think.

Do I either...

Buy my old celica back for a track car. Good points is that it has brand new suspension, Wilwood brakes, new clutch, etc. It's got some tasty upgrades, and I know the history of the car. The bad points is that it's front wheel drive.

Or

Buy an MX-5 NA, and kit it out. Good points is that it'll be a very cheap light weight rear wheel drive track car, but I'd have to buy it stock, not knowing its history.

What do you guys think?

That's my thoughts exactly. But then looking at the amount of things you can buy for an MX-5, it's crazy what you can do. Even turboing it is cheap.

But then I'd get my old car back... and that speaks volumes in itself. Really miss the bloody thing, no matter how powerful the Porsche is.

• Like 1

Most of the young guns will shoot me down as a traitor.............but I grew up driving rear wheel drive and prefer it. After all F1 is rear wheel drive. End of argument! Add to that the squillions of MX5 to choose from and also that is why their aftermarket is so much better served. Numbers!

Other side of coin? Less rust issues with yours. You know it & love it.

Car purchases and women  do not have to be logical to be right...................................

watch out for rot on the early mk1s - they are getting to that age

Good point, thanks for the heads up!

Buy the mx5 you have to much love for that car if it was to get a scrape on track you wouldn't be able to leave it without fixing the damage or get a mr2 roadster very capable and cheap enough these days

This. This has made my decision - I didn't think what would happen if I scraped it on the track! That was the beauty of having a cheap MX5 is that, if I bumped it, I could fix it on the cheap. I'd be gutted if the Celica got damaged.

Most of the young guns will shoot me down as a traitor.............but I grew up driving rear wheel drive and prefer it. After all F1 is rear wheel drive. End of argument! Add to that the squillions of MX5 to choose from and also that is why their aftermarket is so much better served. Numbers!

Other side of coin? Less rust issues with yours. You know it & love it.

Car purchases and women  do not have to be logical to be right...................................

Very true :) Looks like the MX-5 is the boy then!

Thanks for all the help guys, hope you're all well? I miss coming here!

• Like 1

se7en does a race day package for £800 I think - might seem pricey but think it includes everything so getting the car to the track, the car hire, tyres, fuel, entry, insurance etc- so once you take away all those costs its reasonable - think it includes support as well

might be an idea to get your feet wet to start with

MX5 are great little cars with great track car characteristics. 

However, on track I would typically be MX 5 hunting as they are generally slower and makes me feel better than i am not the slowest car of the day. 

With a decent suspension set up, they can be faster than a celica round the twisties- but hit the straight and they really do lack power. 

Agree with the above post.

The MX5 handles well and does look fun but on most tracks they get blitzed.

We've got a 306 GTi-6 for track use, had it 2 years and not actually got it on track yet but the recipe is there, cheap too!

Standard MX5 stands no chance against a 190. Only way it can beat it is to run turbo. A 2 lt version, lightened up can hold up their heads. Early versions, no chance. I own a 1.8 MX5 with no TC or ESC and although the rear wheel drive is much much fun it is slow. funnily enough I've just sold my TS as I'm planning to go down the Mini route now. Set up S will beat a set up 190.

This. This has made my decision - I didn't think what would happen if I scraped it on the track! That was the beauty of having a cheap MX5 is that, if I bumped it, I could fix it on the cheap. I'd be gutted if the Celica got damaged.

Very true :) Looks like the MX-5 is the boy then!

Thanks for all the help guys, hope you're all well? I miss coming here!

Does it really matter if you not the fastest out there gerrain? as long as its fun that's the main thing over on ukstarlet owners a member tracks a 74bhp starlet Sr , keep it as cheap as possible for now , your old celica is way to clean for a track car ,understand the nostalgia thing I've still got my first car a starlet Sr 16 years I've owned it , least your father in law is keeping good care of it ......now go buy a mx5 !!!!

just seen your post and thought about my mates post he's got an mx5 that hes putting up for a raffle , its a project car as currently has an auto box in it and would require some work doing to it. its on facebook i'll put link below.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=582190021&sk=photos&collection_token=582190021%3A2305272732%3A69&set=a.10157423321020022.1073741857.582190021&type=3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.