Crank pulley nut

sonic

I thought posting in general would get as many people seeing this and it's not really engine or even model Pacific

Trying to do a water pump change on the faff , I need to remove my bottom end pully yet the bloody thing will not budge , I have car in gear ( reverse ) , wheel off but a bar wedged between wheel nuts and jammed into the floor to prevent the hub turning , but no matter what I do the bastard will NOT move , using a 19mm with a big breaker bar , I have no buzz gun and due to various oil lines being off I can't use the starter motor to jar it loose , any ideas ?

best way and the way i do it every time is, jam a breaker bar either on the ground or up in the chassis then give the key a wee flick over  :)  i had the mates van mount compresor jacked up to 170 psi and still wouldnt shift it fs  :lol: my fancy rattle gun cried when i tried it too  :o

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, other than get Ed China around to help I think it will come down to more leverage as seen on wheeler dealers. So dependant on how much space you have under it you need a longer bar and constant pressure and it will eventually give.

what happened to the old scaffolding tube trick ?

another idea that i had, although it depends on car, is that you can raise the car, put the breaker bar on the pulley with the end near the floor, and then let the weight of the car crack the nut

But with celica,s Every nut and bolt will fight you to the death lol

So far none has been a major issue in neither of mine.... but when you mess around with a 25 year old lotus as a project car... probably your definition of "Major" changes a bit...

• 2 weeks later...

But with celica,s Every nut and bolt will fight you to the death lol

Not true. The vast majority will undo with fingers once they've been cracked & done the first 1/2 turn. Unless you have a very unlucky one that's been kept at the seaside.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.