Underseal

Kobir

Can anyone recommend me a place to take my car to get the underside treated? Would be great if someone can recommend me a place where they've had there's done as I want it done properly and not a cowboy job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know plenty of places on bedford that do all sorts of things (body work,custom exhaust,servicing,tyres ,allignemt even window tinting)..

Most of them are friends and family owned so always do a good job.

More than happy to put you in touch with them if not to far for you to travel :)

Depends how far you want to go with it,my mate is having his DC5 done in Kent,theyve taken the bumpers and stuff off and theyre dropping his suspension tomorrow!Which means hell have to have his fast road setup done again :lol:

• Like 1

I don't care where it is tbh, if the work is good, il travel no matter how far, underseal is the sort of job I want done properly and if done properly you should only need to do it once every 5 years or so, less if you'll be driving during summer and not winter like me so please feel free to drop their contact info, il have to look into them and see there process and if any pics of their work. Thanks guys for the reply, now I just gotta get some money together or il have to wait till next summer to get it done

That's the kind of work I'm looking for, where they take everything off so they can get into every nook and cranny, also looking for a company that also jet washes and steam cleans the underside, and let it dry for a few days before they start attacking it with wore brushes etc before they finally apply protection etc. If you could please keep me upto date with your mates DC5, that would be great and anyone else who can recommend me a place that can protect the underside would be highly appreciated. I know I'm going abit OTT about all this underside protecting but iv read horror stories of Cowboys undersealing a car and trapping moist and covering rust up etc and that's the last thing I want as I'd just be better off without any protection

When you ask for someone doing "underside treatment", are you including the pre-cleaning and application of either a paint or an anti-rust treatment prior to the underseal?

This place (near Aylesbury) has an interesting website http://www.thepaintshoppros.co.uk/car-underbody-rust-protection-service/

but I have no experience of using them. They apply what looks like a phosphate conversion treatment before the underseal. One point to note is that they reckon that their whole process needs re-doing every few years.

Personally, I definitely want some good rust-inhibiting primer paint going down before underseal and think that any other approach is a mistake. Underseal hides what's going on beneath it and I don't generally use it these days.

B

Edited by bazz54

The main areas that go on the celica, are the sills, the subframe and the petrol tank, i think to tackle all these areas properly, you would be looking at a £1000 - the areas you can get too are the areas that dont go bad

• Like 1

The main areas that go on the celica, are the sills, the subframe and the petrol tank, i think to tackle all these areas properly, you would be looking at a £1000 - the areas you can get too are the areas that dont go bad

:blink:

Kinell, wouldnt it be cheaper to buy and fit a decent 2nd hand petrol tank and subframe and seal them before they go on?

:blink:

Kinell, wouldnt it be cheaper to buy and fit a decent 2nd hand petrol tank and subframe and seal them before they go on?

reason Im saying that price is, to seal the areas under there, you would need to remove the skirts, subframe, tank exhaust etc, then clean it all - I didnt include actually doing the tank and subframe in that price - but thats small in comparison. You could even go further and remove the brake pipes / fuel pipes as well so you can do under there as well

In my opinion just going over the bits you can see is a bit of a waste of money as these areas dont go bad

• Like 2

I just paid £400 (for an Isuzu Trooper) doing what I would call a middle job - it took most of a day, they dropped off the wheels and worked into the arches etc. - they also pumped sealant into the sills etc. The car was clean underneath before they started, although they treated a couple of patches of surface rust before waxoyling. So it wasn't an "everything off" job, but neither was it a superficial coat over the easy bits.

I reckon it was reasonable value for what I paid - given it was a good 6-7 hours work, to do a full strip and seal job would probably be at least three times as much given the work it would involve.

• Like 1

On the 7, the skirts tuck around and over the underside of the sill - with it being enclosed, crap accumulates under there - so no way of treating them without taking them off and cleaning first.

if you have the time to do it, then its a job Id try and tackle yourself, do one part at a time over the space of a few weekends, take the bits off, clean underneath them, then coat and treat it

• Like 1

That's the kind of job I'm after, but can't find any company that offers that sort of service, all the do is clean and coat the floor

On the 7, the skirts tuck around and over the underside of the sill - with it being enclosed, crap accumulates under there - so no way of treating them without taking them off and cleaning first.

if you have the time to do it, then its a job Id try and tackle yourself, do one part at a time over the space of a few weekends, take the bits off, clean underneath them, then coat and treat it

I think I may just give it a go ams, honestly your knowledge of the gen7s is priceless

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.