A question for all the paint guru's

Afternoon all. Without going into too much detail, I've just painted the rear panel, passenger side, above the wheel arch, due to rust. It's been polished to within an inch of its life but there's a very slight shade difference. Paint was professionally mixed to Toyota code (astral black 202) but I was told that colour doesn't have a clear coat. I think that is exactly what it needs to deepen the colour of the new paint to match the old. Am I mistaken, talking bollocks or just plain stupid? :blink: Any ideas, suggestions or ridicule would be welcome. (Well, not so much the ridicule maybe) ;)

Cheers in advance, Iain

Have you compounded it mate? And what colour primer did you use, contrary to what I have red elsewhere I always seem to get a better black finish using white primer rather than grey.

You dont need to laquer astral no mate but it I did it and it came out lovely

Used grey primer Darryl. I'd never have thought of white! It's been compounded with Farecla G3 regular, Menzerna Intensive Polish 2100 & Farecla G10 super fine compound. I've compounded the whole panel too Daytona but just can't get it blended in properly. It's proper shiny but just not quite deep enough black. I was trying to get it finished for the Scottish Car Show on Sunday but it's lashing down with rain so I can't get anything else done! I've got clear coat so I might just give that a try after Sunday. Thanks guys

It might just be because its fresh paint on a 15 year old car fella :( I think you would need to machine polish the entire thing to try and get it matched

This. Plus black is one of the hardest colours to match apparently.

Mines black, needs front and rear bumpers, skirts and o/s rear wing looks like snail has had a field day with a touch up pen...got told that when I went for a quote for re-spray those parts.

Used grey primer Darryl. I'd never have thought of white! It's been compounded with Farecla G3 regular, Menzerna Intensive Polish 2100 & Farecla G10 super fine compound. I've compounded the whole panel too Daytona but just can't get it blended in properly. It's proper shiny but just not quite deep enough black. I was trying to get it finished for the Scottish Car Show on Sunday but it's lashing down with rain so I can't get anything else done! I've got clear coat so I might just give that a try after Sunday. Thanks guys

If a good pro is doing just one panel he will try to avoid going "edge to edge".(s)he will leave an inch or two border and feather the new paint into the old for this reason. This also applies to metallic because the chips can lay differently depending on many variables. This is so even if painting adjacent panels from the same tin of paint on different days!

I didn't go right to the edges of the panel bud cos my brother-in-law advised me of that very fact.

ORC I think I must have got the "hint of brown" Astral black. My mate painted my bonnet scoop using a lacquer & the match is bob on so it looks like that's the way to go :)

All the paint work on my black car has been done using s grey primer and two-pack Astral Black paint. If you really want to you can see a few places where new and old paint meet, but the chap who did the work feathered one into the other in most places.

One day I might cough for a full re-spray but I'm quite pleased with the patch repairs I've had done so far.

Edited by Askari

I've just repainted both rear quarter panels but as it's from a spray can it will never be the same, all the cans say to use grey primer but when I sanded mine back it showed white primer had been used by Toyota, now in the process of getting 2.5l of 2k instead and going to do the whole car

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.