Welcome to Celica Club UK

Welcome to Celica Club UK, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Use the wealth of knowledge our members have to help with any questions you may have.

Sign in to follow this  
slybunda

cleaning the power steering reservoir?

Question

hey all I did a power steering fluid change today,. was very easy but the the main thing that took so long was the cleaning of the reservoir tank. the old fluid is like burnt and stuck to the sides. I used brake cleaner to shift some but still lots in it. using hot water in sink didn't do much good either nor did bleach.

its ok enough to see the level now but still hard to see in it.

is there any other way I can clean it out? spent 2 hours on it for not a lot of progress.

21 answers to this question

Second hand for about a tenner but same problem with dirt inside or get a non genuine one around £25 depending on the fitting never considered it before

doubt dishwasher will make much difference got 2 more options, will try pressure washer failing that will send it off for a chemical wash.

Is it the anti-leak stuff that bakes onto the reservoir? I seem to have colourless power steering fluid in mine. There are still orange/red tide marks around the reservoir, so I'm assuming a previous owner changed it at some point. I even bought some fluid thinking mine was running low but after some fucking around, I discovered I couldn't see the level because the fluid was colourless.

I heard somewhere on YouTube you can get fluid that doesn't have the anti-leak additive, i'm assuming that's the colourless stuff I have in mine. I've no clue about it tho, it may deserve some investigation if the staining annoys you.

I used petrol to clean mine, got rid of all the built up carbon deposits, but the plastic is still permanently stained.

Iv put dexron 3 stuff in it now which i red in colour. Will try petrol to clean it. Mine looks to have been the original factory fill so 16 years old and done 84k. Not surprised its gone black.

Will do another change next month to rinse it out further. Then a final change near the end of the year when i fit my modified power steering cooler. Will use dexron 6 fluid at that point and leave it as probably the cars final fill.

Started cleaning mine with auto glym engine cleaner, then a bit of hot water, fairy liquid and some rice, give it a good shake, came up like new

Spare one from ams has arrived. Is there some sort of small flexible brush i can get to clean it? Most brushes are for alloy wheels and are too big to use.

white rice with some dish washer tablets works wonders. It will still be stained yellow but inside will be spotless.

If you wanted to make it white again you need to google "retrobrite gel".

Got it bit more cleaner using qtips but need something longer. Toothbrush wont fit. Will look into baby bottle cleaner.

On the subject of power steering, how critical would you guys think ' a leak on a power steering component' would be. This is what came back from mot yesterday, although as of yet I haven't noticed a leak. Any info would be good, thanks Jay.

its probably just seeped - and made a mess everywhere - unless its loosing it I wouldnt worry about it as most cars have this issue

Sign in to follow this