cleaning the power steering reservoir?

hey all I did a power steering fluid change today,. was very easy but the the main thing that took so long was the cleaning of the reservoir tank. the old fluid is like burnt and stuck to the sides. I used brake cleaner to shift some but still lots in it. using hot water in sink didn't do much good either nor did bleach.

its ok enough to see the level now but still hard to see in it.

is there any other way I can clean it out? spent 2 hours on it for not a lot of progress.

Is it the anti-leak stuff that bakes onto the reservoir? I seem to have colourless power steering fluid in mine. There are still orange/red tide marks around the reservoir, so I'm assuming a previous owner changed it at some point. I even bought some fluid thinking mine was running low but after some fucking around, I discovered I couldn't see the level because the fluid was colourless.

I heard somewhere on YouTube you can get fluid that doesn't have the anti-leak additive, i'm assuming that's the colourless stuff I have in mine. I've no clue about it tho, it may deserve some investigation if the staining annoys you.

Iv put dexron 3 stuff in it now which i red in colour. Will try petrol to clean it. Mine looks to have been the original factory fill so 16 years old and done 84k. Not surprised its gone black.

Will do another change next month to rinse it out further. Then a final change near the end of the year when i fit my modified power steering cooler. Will use dexron 6 fluid at that point and leave it as probably the cars final fill.

On the subject of power steering, how critical would you guys think ' a leak on a power steering component' would be. This is what came back from mot yesterday, although as of yet I haven't noticed a leak. Any info would be good, thanks Jay.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.