Heads Up Display possible?

Hey all, I've been having more odd car thoughts recently, so brace yourselves for possible ridiculousness.

Bolt on heads up displays for cars are pretty widely available these days, but there aren't any customisable ones with detailed car information in them. It's mostly all just speed, sat nav and time.

My idea is for a proper, green, fighter jet style display. I could probably use the same method as installing gauges to get:

engine readouts (oil temperature, a/f ratio etc) displayed on the windshield, saving on gauges.

Tyre pressures

And then use an old android phone or something to get:

Speed

Barometric pressure (for altitude)

Distances and GPS (heading and way points would be sweet too)

Then display the whole lot on a HUD in front of the instrument panel.

Has anyone heard of such a thing being done before? I do a lot of motorway driving and I think it would be cool to have some extra data to monitor, along with not needing gauges.

Any ideas/advice is helpful to me.

Edited by The_Stapler

You can quite easily get the likes of torque to do exactly what you're after dude. Downloadable themes in the fighter jet lcd style plus it's completely customisable to your liking. Mines all works through the nex which would give you a larger bit of screen to play with but the possibilities are pretty much endless! I absolutely love the line graph with your rpm :) when you're booting it just making little pointy peaks on the shifts up (such a child, I know) but that in particular would look pretty sweet on the HUD

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I know the torque app is out but I didn't know that it could be customised. So do you have it display on a screen or a hud? Not sure what a nex is.

I'm sure I could knock up something to fit the dash, if not maybe it could be mounted to the roof/top of windshield and projected downward?

Sorry dude, the nex is just the nexus. I did type that but autocorrect seems to just take over whenever it pleases! So yeah.. mine's just on screen in the centre console. But as far as torque is concerned... Yup, it's pretty much fully customisable. Look for the quadhelix theme packs. This guy's pretty much got it down and let's you choose individual colours as well as his gauges and dials all looking really sharp. Well on the HD nexus screen they do anyway! Haha

Ah okay got it, I thought it was nexus but want sure. I've got a note 4 with a mahoosive extended battery on it so screen size and brightness isn't a problem. I'd like to have it on the windscreen though, but that would make it hard to access satnav/music (right now I've got it magneted onto the little flap in the centre console. It sounds like that torque app is really good though, the more I read the better it looks.

Aye, it's a handy little tool aswell as being pretty cool to look at haha but it really does sound as though the tablet's gunna be your best bet to get the layout/look you're after although getting it to sit so it displays properly onto the window will no doubt require a bit of dash chopping or some sort of home-made stand. There may well be other alternatives out there dude, something like ambermile has linked above ^^^ but it was just the fact that I've seen this fighter jet style on torque that made me suggest that route

I'm sure I could find an old tablet or something that runs android for a decent price. Ideally I'd have a dedicated hud projector like the one ambermile has mentioned, for clarity, but with a custom display layout. I'll keep doing research on it, surely someone has done something similar before.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.