Rounded Splines on Wheel stud

matt1

So I fitted some new front studs at the weekend to fit my 15mm spacers and I very stupidly overtorqued one of the nuts and have rounded the spline on the stud.

Luckily its not completely rounded and there is some resistance.

I'm going to see if I remove one of the caliper bolts and get some J B Weld on the back of the stud, but it looks very tight. I've read its best to remove the other nuts first and then pull the wheel to put some more pressure on the splines which makes sense.

But the question is when doing this, do I use an air gun to zip the nut off with the initial torque? Or gently put more pressure on with a torque wrench? I'm only going to get one shot before its completely rounded and thingsget very difficult/expensive!

No mate do it by hand with pressure from pulling the wheel If you use an air gun you run the risk of spinning the nut and knackering the splines up totally .

It's going to be difficult .

Pull the wheel to put some pressure behind the nut and turn the nut slowly you will feel it bite then it should come off fine.

If it won't come off and rounds the splines completely the only other choice is to grind the head off the stud and pull it right through then replace with a new stud .

Edited by shaungtr

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.