Strange electrical issue

TheVDM

OK... So every now and again I get in the Celica to go for a drive, turn the key past the first and second notch, everything lights up on the dash just as it should. Then when I turn the key to the starter position I get a relay click and everything goes dead! This to me sounds very much like a bad earth on the gearbox.

If I pop the bonnet and lightly touch the positive terminal (well not the terminal, but the rubber cap that isolates it) the relay clicks and everything is back to normal. :wacko:

The battery terminals and terminal clamps are clean and have a good connection and the gearbox earth strap doesn't appear to be corroded, although I haven't delved too deep as the gearbox is being changed next week anyway.

Has anybody else experienced an issue like this on their car (or specifically a 5th Gen Celica), if so what was the cause?

Sounds more like to me your starter is stuck and is draining everything to try and spin it over, what state is the battery in? Dorris

Didn't think of that! The battery was a spare that used to live in the shed with an inverter on it so it's probably not in the best condition but does crank well and holds charge well. A new 005 battery is in the pipeline for later this year so if that is the issue at least it won't add any expense, it'll just shift around my purchasing priorities :lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.