(Nuts) Alloy versus Steel

VVTI

I am in the process of buying my very first set of brand new alloys ever.

Should be getting them by the end of next week :)

My question is the company I am getting them from send all the fittings as well. I asked them what type the nuts are - steel or alloy, and the replied alloy as steel ones would damage the wheel.

Is this correct, or are they fobbing me off with cheapo ones.

I don't want to damage my new wheels, but steel nuts will be much stronger and less prone of rounding.

I am getting some Bolas if that makes any difference.

What do you recommend?

Thank's in advance

rich i would recommend looking up steel wheel nuts from either of these two websites as they say the ebay ones are crap and i looked around on the net and found some great reviews on the below

you will need external not internal as aparently they break ) and also steel locking wheel nuts :

http://www.driftworks.com/gt50-steel-wheel-nuts-with-key-5-colours-available.html

http://www.driftworks.com/spline-drive-steel-wheel-nuts-with-key-6-colours-available.html

http://www.driftworks.com/steel-locking-wheel-nuts-m12-1-25-1-5-pitch.html

http://nuts4wheels.com/collections/wheel-nuts/products/m12x1-25-titan-17mm-hex-wheel-nuts?variant=1133425417

http://nuts4wheels.com/collections/locking-wheel-nuts/products/m12x1-5-titan-closed-locking-nuts?variant=1135900969

trouble is you would want a good set of locking wheel nuts otherwise you would be crying if you saw your wheels were missing , some say mcgaurd do best locking wheel nuts ..

Edited by celica1977

DO NOT GET ALLOY NUTS.

They twist snap without them being over tightened let alone if someone gives them too much on a breaker bar.

Example A:

A94628D5-8649-4983-A220-2244B47376FD_zps

Im currently in the process of drilling this out. Not fun.

As for steel damaging the wheels...? Are they make out of butter or what.

yep rich , take this into account :

http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/177297-suggestions-on-removing-this-snapped-wheel-nut/

DO NOT GET ALLOY NUTS.

They twist snap without them being over tightened let alone if someone gives them too much on a breaker bar.

Example A:

A94628D5-8649-4983-A220-2244B47376FD_zps

Im currently in the process of drilling this out. Not fun.

As for steel damaging the wheels...? Are they make out of butter or what.

were they tuner nuts you had ?

I have bought many sets of new rims over the last few years, and have never had alloy nuts supplied with them. They have all had this type of steel nut with the relevant spigot rings.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-16-M12-x-1-5-19mm-Hex-alloy-wheel-nuts-lugs-bolts-for-Ford-Cars-/151810327025?hash=item235899c1f1:g:rDMAAOSw~bFWGsn6

That is, of course, unless your new rims have small lug holes, and need the smaller "tuner" nuts.

Had a look on another alloy web site (Demon Tweeks) as I was trying to find out what size nuts I needed and if they are flat end or tapered like my stock ones, and they are also saying

Wheel nuts/bolts

Going from running steel wheels to a set of alloys? You’re going to need new wheel bolts/nuts then (depending on what your car has fitted)! The type of fixings you use on steel wheels are not suitable for use with alloy wheels – because they’re much harder. This means that they can eventually chew through the bit of the alloy responsible for holding them to your hubs!

Didn't think wheel nuts are so complicated. I think I need M12x1.5 ? but I haven't found the lug diameter of the bolas yet. I think I will have to wait until they turn up. shame I can't use my stock ones they lasted 16 years and still perfect condition.

Had a look on another alloy web site (Demon Tweeks) as I was trying to find out what size nuts I needed and if they are flat end or tapered like my stock ones, and they are also saying

Wheel nuts/bolts

Going from running steel wheels to a set of alloys? You’re going to need new wheel bolts/nuts then (depending on what your car has fitted)! The type of fixings you use on steel wheels are not suitable for use with alloy wheels – because they’re much harder. This means that they can eventually chew through the bit of the alloy responsible for holding them to your hubs!

Didn't think wheel nuts are so complicated. I think I need M12x1.5 ? but I haven't found the lug diameter of the bolas yet. I think I will have to wait until they turn up. shame I can't use my stock ones they lasted 16 years and still perfect condition.

Yes..it's M12 x 1.5, as per my link :)

• Like 1

Wheel nuts/bolts

yeah i wouldnt worry about that rich as you have alloys with the steel flat end ones on your stock ones and the new alloys will defo be a tapered nut ...

have you worked out what you will be doing for the 4 locking wheel nuts ? , i know your car is garaged but for the rice your paying i would defo get some good steel ones

Edited by celica1977

yeah i wouldnt worry about that rich as you have alloys with the steel flat end ones on your stock ones and the new alloys will defo be a tapered nut ...

have you worked out what you will be doing for the 4 locking wheel nuts ? , i know your car is garaged but for the rice your paying i would defo get some good steel ones

I am getting everything supplied all in one hit anyway alloy wheel nuts and locking nuts already it's not a panic. It is just is it worth changing it all to steel ones, as the general consensus on here is yes. I will wait to see what is supplied and order some suitable new steel ones, the alloy ones should last a few weeks without snapping i hope?

• Like 1

IF the nuts with the rims do turn out to be alloy rather than steel, just go steady when tightening them up, and check they're still tight after 100 miles or so.

As you say, best to wait and see what arrives :)

• Like 1

I concur Alloy wheel nuts should be banned! After 30+ years in the trade I've never seen a set last and plenty fail, along with alloy bango bolts too!

Its totally fine to use steel wheel nuts with alloy wheels as long as they are the correct size and shape, add a smear of copper grease to the thread and torque to 103MN 76lb ft and you will be fine. Dorris

• Like 2

Lightweight alloy fasteners of any kind are a nightmare. Round off easy as anything and corrode really fast. I change some oem to stainless steel depending what they are but that's all. Avoid!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.