Dang! Rounded wheel nut

Kona786

I was in the process of swapping my old nuts for new replacements and ended up rounding one of the nuts. A combination of over tightened nut (tyre fitter), rusty nut and poor quality nut tool included with the new nuts.

Now question is how much of a ***** will it be to get this of. What are my options? It's going into my mechanic to get my discs and pads done for the front and will get him to have a go (rounded nut is on the rear).

Thanks in advance.

D2xNn33.jpg?1

the next size up torx bit hammered in there and the use of an impact gun in the garage should have that out in seconds.

if not there are special tools designed for this or easy-out and the likes that a good garage may have to hand.

First, good application of heat on the nut from a blowtorch.

Then air chisel (or sds drill with rotation switched off) firstly pointing direct in towards centre to make a notch, then turn so it's hammering to undo.

Good news, my now best pal mechanic was able to get the nut off by hammering a big Allen key into it.

7HwUXb3.jpg

I really didn't want it to come to welding as protecting the alloy was going to be a faff.

Thanks all.

Edited by Kona786

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.