Car transporters ?

Steve74

Does it drive OK? Would it pass an MOT? If two yeses, book an MOT at your local garage/MOT station :D

Insure it first though :o

PS - whilst this would be technically legal, I'm not seriously advising this ...

I've done this. It doesn't even have to pass MOT. Its legal to drive a car on the road without MOT or tax if it is going to or from a pre booked MOT. Insure it and your good to go. Legislation doesn't say it has to come and go from same address. I've done it. Been stopped by police and they couldn't find a fault in the logic. Car failed MOT and I drove it home. The MOT cost £30.50 (in NI), and a retest in 21 days is only £17.50. So basically cost me £17.50 to move car and I got a professional assessment of what the car needed for MOT for free.

But make sure obvious things are okay. Lights, tyres, number plates and that it can basically drive safely. Wouldn't chance it with dodgy brakes or suspension hanging out of it.

Edited by AlexD

If it's failed an MOT and previous one has lapsed as well then you can't drive it unless you are driving to a MOT station that the car is booked into. Driving it home instead of a MOT station would be illegal.

There's nothing stopping you from a break in the journey for refreshments etc... if your house happens to be inbetween, then you could go home first.

There's nothing stopping you from a break in the journey for refreshments etc... if your house happens to be inbetween, then you could go home first.

Your right but if you get pulled by Vosa instead of the police you'd be grilled a lot more. I personally wouldn't risk it and I wouldn't recommend it. Stopping for breaks on a long journey are needed but if you miss the mot time that is booked in for then it's illegal. Even getting caught in traffic for longer than expected could mean your driving illegally.

Edited by Heepsy92

Your right but if you get pulled by Vosa instead of the police you'd be grilled a lot more. I personally wouldn't risk it and I wouldn't recommend it. Stopping for breaks on a long journey are needed but if you miss the mot time that is booked in for then it's illegal. Even getting caught in traffic for longer than expected could mean your driving illegally.

Can vosa pull a private car over ? Thought they only had powers overa specially licences vehicles like hgv and taxi ?

with such a long distance, the problem is if you break down on the motorway, the aa wont tow you and getting an emergency recovery will cost 3-10 times more than a pre-booked recovery

Edited by ams

http://www.transporterhire.co.uk/

A friend of mine has used this company and they seem pretty good.

Cost is £105 for 24 hour rental. You get 259 miles allowance and then 12p per mile thereafter.

If the car is a distance away, it may be worth considering.

There are various depots you can use. He used the one in Bradford.

Hope this helps.

I used these guys to move my Super Bee a couple weeks back from Bristol to Cam. Only thing to mind is the weight limit as most of them will be 1500kgs tops (the Bee was partially stripped so I risked it :lol:) but that should be fine for anything celica related!

Would deffo use them again though.

• 4 weeks later...

If it's failed an MOT and previous one has lapsed as well then you can't drive it unless you are driving to a MOT station that the car is booked into. Driving it home instead of a MOT station would be illegal.

Sorry, beg to differ. DVA state that you can only drive a car that is insured, but has no MOT or tax, to and from an MOT Centre (pre Booked Test) or to a VOSA/DVA inspection centre (say for registering or reclassifying) So if a car fails MOT as long as it is going back to your home, OR a place for repair, it can be driven on road without MOT or Tax, Must be insured, also MOT centre are required, if failure considered dangerous, to impound vehicle/prevent it being moved until you get a transporter to move it. That's from 2 MOT inspectors directly, and the DVA website.

If the failure is dangerous, and you insist on moving it, they would contact the police.

That's MOT centres in NI, which are government owned and run. But the website is for all localities.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.