hmm wheel dilemma .....

Akuma77

So ive been looking at refurbing wheels for this colour and yesterday i was speaking to Nmunky yesterday :

Fiat 750 Marron Volciano
2e9eadcs-960.jpg
but i have a few issues and they are as follows :
1) i am sorting out a small mod shed where i can do my spraying bits this year , plus i dont have any fom of heating for big jobs llike wheel refurb
2) do i purchase loads of cans of aerosols as im changing colour to the above paint but it will propbably be a bit costly
3) ive been in contact with a old friend who runs his own sprayshop and he was talking to me about a few options as he said because you really have to do the front and back of the alloy, it will take a lot of paint for the wheels , he normally does the back and then the front and he sai im sure it will surprise you on how much you would have to buy especially as aerosols range from £5 -£20.
he gave me the option that i pick my colour , he gets all the materials and does a full proper job for £250-300 , it would take 2 days but i think i may have to get another cheap set of wheels so we can get my tsport wheels upto him . he said as i do clean my car a lot the finish woulnt last as long ...
the good thing with his suggestion it would be done properly with decent paint and it would be longer lasting as he could strip them down properly and you get a nice set of wheels .
he said it would be a days labour with materials , if i left the wheels with him for two days and
4) i have refurbed some vx wheels before but they were easy compared to the plan on these , so not sure
what do you guys think i should do ?

yeah but the trouble is daryl the tyres will cost extra wouldnt they ?

i have a nice cheque coming to me from some shares from work for me putting some money away every month for the last 3 years so thats literally doubled in price plus ive just enroled into another shares sheme so i thought i would go down that route but i would need to get a spare set of wheels which would cost £100-150 ish , £250 for the paint job & another

i need to get the shed and its placing anyway and ive budgeted for that so i wont be adding that into the equasion plus depending on when i get the cheque cashed , it shouldnt be no longer than a month anyway if it works out i cant get them done later then this would be spread over the year till at least the late summer then next year it would be spacers, eibach springs & other bits ..

Edited by celica1977

It's kinda why I have gone off the refurb route fella. Can get new rims which are guaranteed straight and true for not a whole lot more. We know what these fondmetal ones are like.

Its a tough one really as the fontmetal ones are prone to buckles kerbing etc ...........but all the oem 17" wheels in my opinion suit the car so much better than the cheaper end of the market alloy wheels do id go refurb every time on that budget unless you obviously have more to spend , I personally love speedline turini but they are pricey like I said its a tough one

Edited by totts

Hmm so I've been thinking about this, I would like some dark bronze ones but they do seem to be expensive what I have to throw in the equasion is if I bought a set of wheels do I stay with 17" and would I need to look into better locking wheelnuts etc,plus the cost of putting the tyres from my fondmetal plus I need to get another 215 Tyre for the spare wheel as that has a 205..

Then next year I will sort out the lowering .. I can't do both

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

When you buy a new set of rims, you almost always get a set of tapered nuts (as well as spigot rings) as part of the package. You would need a new set of lockers, but most people wouldn't bother with changing the spare wheel size, so it matches the four road wheels.

I really don't think it's worth spending the sort of money your talking about on the T Sport rims..go 17" new.

Around here, it's £10 per wheel for fitting and balancing.

OK kev so what your saying dont worry about getting a new Tyre for spare, it has a new pirelli Tyre on under a 205 leave that as it is and stick with some 17" rims..I had a set of falken 914s 215x45x17s a few years ago to transfer over to the new wheels if I take that route.

I know what my mate was saying would of been a good deal but thinking about it with using my tires with new stronger wheels would be a more worthwhile bet.trouble is the bronze style don't seem to be cheap and which makes do you stay away from ?

does that mean any 17's alloys will fit my tyres?

Edited by celica1977

ok guys just been having a look around , were these similar to the ones you were talking about daryl:

https://www.carnoisseur.com/alloy-wheels/details/wolfrace-jdm-gunmetal

but i dont think im going to be able to go for the bronze as first wanted as they are much more expensive , does gunmetal go with storm blue ?

Gunmetal goes lovely with storm blue. Look at Daytonas his are anthracite which is quite similar.

Little cheaper here :)

http://www.alloywheelworld.co.uk/wolfrace-asia-tec-jdm-17-x-7-5-alloy-wheels-finished-in-gunmetal.html#.VuSEo4rfWJI

very true mate it does look a nice colour , ideally i was looking into dark bronze but they are £500+ your right the asia tec jdm ones are £355 so a bit cheaper , id still have to get some locking wheel nuts , kev said i would need tapered ones...gonna have a look for storm blue celica with gunmetal on google.

I was ogling a nice set of wheels in my local garage a few days ago, mechanic said they feel rather lightweight too:

P1010654_zpschumbin0.jpg

This 5Zigen set in the photo are 17" but probably far too wide for a Celica but i know they come in 17x7.5 and a choice of finishes including a matt bronze....

I think they look pretty cool and would suit a Gen7 very well.

Debs

• Like 1

does gunmetal go with storm blue ?

Absolutely

My Summer rims (Fox Motorsport MS006 in Carbon Grey with polished rim) are very similar to the Wolfrace Asia-Tec, but if you go for the Wolfies, you want Offset/ET35, not 45.

OK kev so when you order a set of wheels I need to ask for 7.5 35 offset but say if you we're ordering online how would you know they were 35 ..because Cal670 bought his on 45 et I wouldn't want to get wrong ones

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.