Ignition timing strobe

This one is cheap and works a treat :) Inductive pick-up, fine for occasional use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerspark-TL100-Ignition-Strobe-Timing-Light-Lamp-/110711496588?hash=item19c6eb5f8c:g:Q4UAAOSwh6xTsIHS

Beat me again Stevie :D

:lol: and im half cut too

If Skiny don't get to it before me.....

Connects to battery, easy to use. Just highlight the timing marks on the pulley and away you go. Don't forget to link out TE1+E1 on the port and check again after tightening the dizzy :)

you can have that one :P

remove driver dside under tray to see the pulley wheel, theres a wee nick on the otehr thats hard to see and needs highlighted sometimes. this wee mark when setting the timing backup should be at 10 degree by the mark on the bottom cam belt cover B)

• Like 1

Changing dizzy cap won't affect the timing, you would need to loosen the 2 bolts holding the dizzy to the head for that.

On the other hand, knowing your symptoms it would be worth checking anyway. Link E1 & TE1 and verify engine light is flashing, then check pulley mark lines up with 10 degree mark.

Hey Chris. Yeah I'm changing the whole dizzy, not just the cap. Gunna change dizzy, rotar arm and dizzy cap. And possibly spark plugs too. That way I know the whole ignition side of things have been changed properly.

I'm trying to picture what I gotta do but can't. Lol. I know I gotta mark the notch on the bottom pulley, but I'm confused with this 10 degree mark. What's this all about? I'm guessing it's something to do with the position of the notch on the pulley before screwing the dizzy back into place.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8316230/download_pdf/st205_3s_gte_rev3_engine_supplement_rm398e.pdf

p.60 (EG 32)

The markings for 0 and 10 are on the cam belt cover. Worth marking the 10 degree one with white. When setting, make sure your head is placed so that the 10 degree mark is in line with the crank pulley center to avoid paralax error.

It all works by strobe action - the voltage pulse for the spark triggers a very short flash from the timing light, illuminating the TDC line on the pulley at that moment against the fixed scale on the belt cover.

The E1-TE1 link fixes timing at 10 degrees as far as the ECU is concerned, so you adjust the distributer (ECU triggers) until you actually get 10 degrees.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.