standard gen 7 alloy refurbishment

Samwell996

this might be a completely stupid question but i am wanting to refurbish my spare wheel as it is awful and the other four had been refurbished before i brought the car. the problem is that i don't know what colour paint i need to get, I've never done this before so i don't know if there is a standard paint that you use for alloys or if it is specific to the car. any help would be great. apologies again if this is a stupid question.

i have a photo but i don't know how to upload it :/ bright silver i would say. was thinking of plasti dipping mine bronze, my girlfriend just did her wheels gun metal grey and they look pretty cool but I'm not sure how either colour would look on a silver car to be honest thats why i think I'm going to refurb so its silver on silver

No one has mentioned it, but it is important with aluminium to start off with primer coat using a paint intended for aluminium. The last time I painted aluminium I think I used an aerosol etch primer made by Clostermann and that seems to have lasted.

No one has mentioned it, but it is important with aluminium to start off with primer coat using a paint intended for aluminium. The last time I painted aluminium I think I used an aerosol etch primer made by Clostermann and that seems to have lasted.

thankyou, good to know mate :)

Halfords metallic silver is a bright silver

would that match the rest of my alloys then? as my plan was to refurb the spare and then put it in place of one which is starting to flake a bit

Your best bet is to find an auto paint place that can mix something up to match the others. Otherwise you'll have to just buy a few silvers and find the best match yourself. Can you not contact who you bought the car off and ask what paint they used?

Are you going to strip the whole wheel or just do the bad bits? If the latter, what I have used in past are the small (cheap) tins of Humbrol enamel paint intended for model makers; I think they do a number of different silvers of different shades.

Are you going to strip the whole wheel or just do the bad bits? If the latter, what I have used in past are the small (cheap) tins of Humbrol enamel paint intended for model makers; I think they do a number of different silvers of different shades.

the whole wheel, the paint is flaking very bad on my spare wheel think i could strip it all off without any sanding lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.