Intermittent Starting Issues

sarie

Hey guys, I've had my 2005 Celica 140 for about a month now and for the most part it starts immediately every time, no problems. However, occasionally it seems to struggle - this morning was one of those occasions. The seller told me the car had been sat for 6 weeks before I bought it and as a result he put a nice new battery in the car the day before I picked it up as he said it didn't always start properly, which was nice of him.

However, since then though I've had about four occasions where the car feels like it may fail to start. It turns over but it'll just keep turning over without catching - it did that this morning and took about 6 or 7 seconds to start. It does seem to be cold starts but isn't necessarily weather specific or anything as I've had it happen when it has been left in the multi-storey under cover all day.

The starter sounds okay and it's not turning over sluggishly or showing any symptoms of battery drain whatsoever so I'm not really sure what could be causing it. Some kind of fuel issue maybe? It was serviced in August so had new filters etc when that was done according to the paperwork I have. Also, a different symptom but possibly related, I have also had a couple of times where it feels like it hesitates when I turn the key - so you get a pause for about a second before the starter kicks in.

I've run some injector cleaner through it with the last three tanks of fuel and it had a big 700 mile run at the weekend, which I was hoping would've given the engine a good warm up after being sat for so long.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Sarah

Edited by sarie

Hmm thanks Briano, that's possible, hadn't thought about the alternator! It doesn't seem to really be time related though - it was a problem this morning having been left overnight after getting in from work last night, but other mornings it's usually fine, which is why I'm a bit baffled as it's so intermittent.

Edited by sarie

if its turning over ok but not firing up then that would suggest battery, alternator and starter are ok.

I would start with a new set of plugs and air filter, and may as well change the oil whilst your there

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.