Suggestions on removing this snapped wheel nut

lovelock

Hi,

so this happened:

A94628D5-8649-4983-A220-2244B47376FD_zps

There is about 3mm of the nut left on there but as you can see its just the rounded part.

They are pretty week so I imagine I could chisel that top off, but am I right in thinking there is the tapered part still in there which will need removing too?

only option I can think of is to get a screw driver and try to unscrew it by hitting it out.

Any other suggestions failing that??

Edited by lovelock

can you hammer a smaller socket onto it? Failing that its hub off and small grinding disc from behind.

don't be tempted to try and chisel it unless you are HOLDING IT FIRM, a buddy had the same thing and set the chisel in then stood back and whacked it, nothing holding the chisel which flew out and bust his lip.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yep, ali tuner nuts... most have bent whilst taking them off and still have the other side left yet to take off, hopefully none snap there.

Looks like it'll be a trip to Toyota to get a wheel stud and get the drill out.

Any suggestions on strong wheel nuts?

nuts4wheels.com uk company and quality product mate, look for my "tuner nuts" thread in the consumables thread ;)

I looked before but couldn't find it... :/

EDIT: Found it.

Come across these steel ones which look the same to mine now, but not aluminium!

http://www.driftworks.com/gt50-steel-wheel-nuts-with-key-5-colours-available.html

Same as on the nuts4wheels site but cheaper.

EDIT 2: Just ordered the GT50 nuts from Nuts4wheels as was £2 more with 1st class recorder as opposed to driftworks budget 6 day courier.

£44, but happy to pay double that of the aluminium ones. Pay cheap pay twice!

I would try a small and sharp chisel to try and turn it before drilling it, so make a dent in it and then tap it round

have used studs if you dont want to go to toyota

Messaged you before but you said the standard nuts wouldn't fit these wheels :(

Edited by lovelock

aluminium has much higher thermal expansion coefficient than steel, 22 to 12 (micrometers/meter per Kelvin).

If you cool down your wheels aluminium nuts and wheels will shrink more than steel, releasing tension in the cone area, but tightening fit on the stud.

Considering current temperatures attacking them first thing in the morning should give you best chances of success.

Edited by zajc3w

thanks for the suggestions!

I have friday off work so first thing in the morning I will try and remove it.

Ill try to hit a socket over the top first, then ill go for the chisel on the side to spin it out and if that fails ill destroy it slowly with a drill.

New nuts came today, feel much better in steel thats for sure!

Edited by lovelock

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.