help!

Rob ewan

Martin is (as I know you are sir) a GT4 expert so I'm sure he will give the right advice to ensure the setup is safe.

When you go to his place there is everything from bog stock through to hugely modded (including martins own which was specced to show posers in R8s what fast really is :-))

What's your target bhp wise ?

Thanks for the promotion Scott :xmas_biggrin: I am expert in a few things, but not celica's - or even mechanics in general, I'm just an enthusiast, maybe a bit more enthusiastic about certain variants than most, maybe even a gifted amateur - not an expert though.

My comment wasn't a dig at Martin - one of a select few people I actually take his advice as gospel. I've dealt with Rob, and supplied some of the parts he'll be using to acheive his goals. He has a rare thing which I envy, but can also be dangerous if left untempered - boundless enthusiasm, you can tell from his posts. I'd hate for his enthusiasm to get the better of him. He has hardware capable of well over 400 bhp, beyond the limits of an old, stock 205 engine in a fwd chassis.

Paul has made a couple of very valid points in his remark.

Firstly, there is a multi direction compromise between power, ecconomy, reliability, drivability and comfort. The more you push at one, the more you lose on the others. I know many people with highly nodified GT4's that take a standard one for a blast and when they get back realise what they've lost in the comfort and drivability directions.

Secondly, a well modified GT4 engine is a handful even in a GT4. In a FWD chassis I can see lots of scary moments ploughing straight on towards walls/ hedges etc. at the slightest touch of throttle.

It always pays to realise what you're getting into before spending lots of money.

Ahhh, see that's me not knowing my St numbers yet. I thought this was a gen 6 gt4 engine into a gen 5 gt4 handnt realised it was into a 2wd.

I was interested in this thread anyway but now I'm super interested to see where it goes.

Id never though of the compromises.. I work in project management so its all about balancing the triangle of time, cost and quality. Guess this is a power, comfort reliability triangle

I'm going to semi-forge mine next year, ideally I want a comfortable 300 HP to play with but my Hybrid is capable of 360-380 :) plan is oversized forged pistons, full bottom end regrind with race bearings, 5s engine oil pump and full engine seal kit, ARP bolts/studs throughout, 205 head gasket and maybe some head work like polished ported and flowed. Also the block and head will be "decked" to ensure true square ness and flatness, cambelt kit too. Well, that the rough ideas in my head lol already blew it up so going to build it to last and take abuse as I will be doing track and drag days too :)

When are you buying a 185 then Scott ?

I'm going to semi-forge mine next year, ideally I want a comfortable 300 HP to play with but my Hybrid is capable of 360-380 :) plan is oversized forged pistons, full bottom end regrind with race bearings, 5s engine oil pump and full engine seal kit, ARP bolts/studs throughout, 205 head gasket and maybe some head work like polished ported and flowed. Also the block and head will be "decked" to ensure true square ness and flatness, cambelt kit too. Well, that the rough ideas in my head lol already blew it up so going to build it to last and take abuse as I will be doing track and drag days too :)

When are you buying a 185 then Scott ?

Lol. Still dreaming but not committing

I've been in an st205 which belonged to supersai101 and it was epic, pretty sure his wasn't too far from standard either.

Been offered a ride in martins but not managed it.

Need a passenger ride in a 185 but your a bit far away dude..

Hi guys.

The bhp target really isn't a issue for this engine. The issue for me is get the car set up running good with all the components fitted i have on my wish list. When I've had a little fun on a few tracks the car should be ready to have its new forged engine built and fitted by mk autos.

For now though it's all about electrics.chassis. suspension and fun.

All the power to the front wheels really leaves it all upto the drivers ability to work with the throttle and under oversteer and of the handbrake.

I own a Bentley supersport and a porshe turbo both 4 wheel drive and have massive amounts of power and grip which i have fun with daily.But for my celica it's all about massive amounts of fun on gravel or tarmac. This car I have owned for years. So it's a love project rather than common sense. Am sure u guys understand were am coming from. They are just an amazing car.

Rob

You wouldn't have much fun sat in skinny's passenger seat - unless you can make brum brum noises.

:xmas_tongue: oh you big cat, meiow. if i put the intercooler and intake back on it will start and run, run like sh1t but oh and the smoke :xmas_laugh:

If anyone would like to take a test drive in my celica in January feel free.

Am sure it will be a good laugh and could be pretty decent too.

I'll bring one of my road cars to compare it's capabilities next too 4 wheel driven car.

Absolutely miles away I guess but many smiles.

Rob

If anyone would like to take a test drive in my celica in January feel free.

Am sure it will be a good laugh and could be pretty decent too.

I'll bring one of my road cars to compare it's capabilities next too 4 wheel driven car.

Absolutely miles away I guess but many smiles.

Rob

That's a very kind offer. Date dependant I for one would love to take you up on this. Having seen your dailies listed above id like to point out that if I win the lottery a gt4 would be in my garage right next to my Porsche..:-)

Hi guys.

The bhp target really isn't a issue for this engine. The issue for me is get the car set up running good with all the components fitted i have on my wish list. When I've had a little fun on a few tracks the car should be ready to have its new forged engine built and fitted by mk autos.

For now though it's all about electrics.chassis. suspension and fun.

All the power to the front wheels really leaves it all upto the drivers ability to work with the throttle and under oversteer and of the handbrake.

I own a Bentley supersport and a porshe turbo both 4 wheel drive and have massive amounts of power and grip which i have fun with daily.But for my celica it's all about massive amounts of fun on gravel or tarmac. This car I have owned for years. So it's a love project rather than common sense. Am sure u guys understand were am coming from. They are just an amazing car.

Rob

Sounds like you know what you're letting yourself in for.

I know exactly what you mean about projects for love not common sense, I have too many of them :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.