Pressure plate and flywheel bolts

Knighty

Need some advice if possible!

So to cut a long story short I'll be replacing my gearbox, clutch and flywheel in the next couple of weeks. I was wondering if I should be replacing the pressure plate bolts along with the flywheel bolts?

I'm not sure the stock clutch kit comes with the pressure plate bolts, so need to order them separate if they need to be replaced.

And a final question, should threadlock be used on both the flywheel and pressure plate bolts? Doing a search on Google comes up with many different views on the subject.

Thanks guys!

I replace the flywheel bolts without question. New OEM bolts usually come pre-coated with the correct type threadlock anyway, but if not, make sure you use the recommended type as instructed.

I've always re-used the cover bolts unless it's stated in the manual that they are not a re-useable item.

I have reused flywheel bolts in the past with no adverse effect, but only on old Fords :D

Edited by thermoacc
  • Like 1

I replace the flywheel bolts without question. New OEM bolts usually come pre-coated with the correct type threadlock anyway, but if not, make sure you use the recommended type as instructed.

I've always re-used the cover bolts unless it's stated in the manual that they are not a re-useable item.

I have reused flywheel bolts in the past with no adverse effect, but only on old Fords :D

Thanks for the reply. I was definitely replacing flywheel bolts but didn't realise they may come with a threadlock on them.

When I replaced the clutch earlier in the year, as far as I know the old pressure plate bolts were used, but didn't know what is recommended. Perhaps they aren't that expensive from Mr T, in which case, may aswell replace them.

With regards to pressure plate bolts, threadlock or just torque?

Won't do any harm to reuse or replace the cover bolts, especially if they are a reasonable cost.

Again, I've only used threadlock in the past if instructed, but the last clutch change I did on the CS, no threadlock used.on the cover bolts. Never done a clutch on a Gen7, but if the manual says to use threadlock.......you know :) Just torque them up progressively to spec in the correct sequence.

• Like 1

most of the time you will find spring washers on the cover bolts. if they have spring washers then no thread lock is needed as these will stop them from coming loose. :)

and reusing the old ones will be find if they are in a good state.

• Like 1

Thanks to you both!

Really appreciate the help.

I'll take a look through the service manuals and see if it mentions anything. Hopefully the fly bolts will come precoated as you say, makes life much easier!

Interesting to know about the spring washers. I guess most people just reuse the old ones. I'm just being pedantic really, but want to be as sure as possible that I won't have to open it all up again.. Twice in a year is getting a little expensive...

a bit of stud lock wont hurt even if you have spring washers if you are concerned .

Id change them out personally if they have been used a couple of times , I replaced mine with these, only takes a few days for them to arrive

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_45_108&products_id=1726

• Like 1

How come twice in one year? Not a job to be doing bi-annually is it :D

What clutch are you going for? ACT, Exedy etc....

Tell me something I don't know! Hahaha.

Put in an Exedy Stage 1 in January. And something isn't right. Clutch engagement is all over the place and bite is really snatchy some times and perfect the next. Also have intermittent clutch drag also along with other niggling issues.

Thought it was a hydraulic issue at first, bled it through multiple times and had slave and master replaced, no change. So now I'm looking at the clutch as a cause.

Looking online I've seen loads of posts about the same clutch and the friction material coming away from the disc. And other issues. Most of the time the clutch failing with less than 10k on it. Mines around 8k

Won't be 100% until it comes out, all I can say is if that is the problem I won't touch another Exedy again.

The next one is just going to be an OEM from Mr T. Supercharging won't be happening within the next year or so at least so will go back to stock for the foreseeable.

a bit of stud lock wont hurt even if you have spring washers if you are concerned .

Id change them out personally if they have been used a couple of times , I replaced mine with these, only takes a few days for them to arrive

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_45_108&products_id=1726

Thanks for the link! Didn't think of looking at MWR to be fair.

They're quite reasonably priced so see no reason not to change them out!

• Like 1

Hmmmm, not good.

I put an Exedy in mine. I had a little problem with clutch drag at first, but thankfully was an easy fix. Since fitting an Exedy, I've heard nothing but bad stories :rolleyes: Don't think they are as good as they used to be.

Yeah I thought I'd cured it for a time just by adjusting the master a little bit, but soon came back. When I bought it I looked through reviews and most were extremely positive. I've since found out if you search for the right thing a lot of negatives appear.

I had an exeddy stage 1 in mine too when I 1st charged her , Only lasted a few months before it started slipping. Replaced with an ACT HDSS which has been fine so far even now I'm running 367 bhp

Good to see I'm not the only one to see the clutch fail prematurely, makes me feel a little more confident it is the clutch and not something worse.

I guess all will be revealed in the coming weeks.

I did consider an ACT clutch, but my experience with the Exedy has put me off aftermarket completely at the minute. Once I end up charged I'll either go ACT or Competition Clutch, as both seem to be a popular choice. Not looking to go as high as 367 so I should be safe with the ACT :lol:

• Like 1

I'm going to finish off this post just incase anyone in future ever has the same questions.

As per the below maintenance manual

https://www.celicahobby.com/tech/2000-2005_toyota_celica_repair_manual_volume2.pdf

The flywheel bolts of a manual transmission Celica does not require threadlock, only for the bolts to be torqued in a star pattern to 36lbf, followed by a further 90 degrees, again in a star pattern.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.