Help

not sure where to put this but I would like a answer quickly as I have a decision to make.

My Toyota celica 2002 140 has just developed this horrible rattle/ squeaking from the exhaust when I'm idle, when I start driving again it goes away. Is this a big enough problem to turn around and head home? (On M6 to visit a friend in uni) 2hours till I get to him or 1hour home.

Any response will be much appreciated

The car was fine before, has half a tale of oil (never checked it when the oil was cold, only when it was hot) but the noise is definitely coming from the exhaust.

The car was fine a hour ago. Hasn't had a service in a very long time, but flu through the mot in April. Not sure what else to say lol. Thanks

The exhaust seems wobbly and there is a metal sheet over the muffler of the exhaust that is lose and resting on the exhaust. Didn't see anything broken. And yeah I think I've got RAC lol

Only the back part of the exhaust is wobbly. Thanks for the quick reply mate

If you can secure it with some wire/coathanger it'd be better as constant movement if its wobbly could cause a break at a weak point if there is one or another mount to be at risk if its having to support more than before

tbh i'd keep an eye on it and keep going, see if you can drop into an exhaust place tomorrow and get a new mount popped on

Just started her back up and the rattling has stopped so imma guna plod on but if anyone else has anything to say please do.

:thumbs:

dont forget to check your oil before you come back :)

Heat shield mate. Mine went a few months back. Had it tie wrapped to secure it better. But also my back box just gave up. Pipe cracked around the weld going into back box. This made a squeaky rattle at idle but not overly obvious during driving. Just swapped it for a Tsport back box. Sounds much nicer.

Alright guys thanks for all the help I'll try and just bodge it for now then take it into a garage when I get back.

Just swapped it for a Tsport back box. Sounds much nicer.

That sounds like a good idea cheers dean

Thanks again everyone for helping me out, was worrying about it haha.

If it hasn't had a service for a very long time that might be a good idea as well. And an oil change.

Particularly an oil & filter change.

Pretty much everything else can be done as & when it wears out or fails the mot without causing major damage. Old oil and clogged filters causes problems inside the engine such as increased wear and jamming piston rings. The first you'll know about it is when the car starts drinking oil or rattling, and by then it's too late.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.