celica GT vs GT86

GT86 every day of the week. I must say the Celica is great fun to drive but the '86 is in a different ball park, stock form anyways. So much fun to drive, steering is much more responsive & more torque which is a nice feeling. Add some mods on top and you've got yourself a weapon in the handling department. Granted they're not the most powerful cars but power isn't essential in this car. Yes Toyota could release a turbo'd version but then all you'd probably find is a lot more of them being written off by inexperienced drivers. Best to learn how to drive RWD and then if you feel it's necessary strap a turbo or a supercharger on. Again, these cars don't need more power to make them better, great fun as they are!

All this is why I'm selling my GT, been driving my old man's '86 too much so decided to buy it off him haha!

• Like 1

^^^^...agree.!....if I stay with the sports car theme then it's likely to be the GT86.

For me, there would be no point in buying another Celica...The one I have is just fine..I could only get one a couple of years newer at best and I've got mine to where I want it to be...new Aisin clutch, 4 new tyres, new discs and pads all round, running sweetly at 88k miles, no oil burning issues (thus far, touch wood etc) and in great condition.

The only other consideration would be a complete opposite...my fave Luxobarge..the Lexus LS400/430. :)

Neil

It depends what your looking for, if it's power that your looking for or a fast 0-60 time then there pretty much both the same as although the gy86 has 200bhp it's heavier so it works out the 0-60 times is exactly the same as the gt 190, I personally would keep the gt 190 and mod that, super charge it or turbo charge ;)

As has probably already been mentioned this isn't really a fair or direct comparison, one car designed late 90s the other mid 2000s, one rear wheel drive the other front wheel drive.

I am not a total Celica fanatic indeed only got mine really as a stop-gap as I couldn't find something I really wanted or fit my requirements, having said that I am happy with my choice.

I thought about a GT86 before getting my car and love the looks and the way it drives (having had RWD cars for the last 15 years) but it was never really in my list to buy simply because I wanted something cheap to buy in the £4-8K range and the GT86 was over £23K and still is with second hand ones going for £15K+ so never really an option.

If you want to compare the Celica to something then shouldn't it be a car of similar style and type from roughly the same era costing about the same, it's one thing to note the changes and advances time has brought about (or not) in car design but a little unrealistic to try and directly compare the two, no doubt if Toyota had kept on making the Celica it would have moved on although I doubt it would have gone rear wheel drive but who knows.

• Like 1

Ayup Buggerlugs....cheeky bugger. :laugh2: ...they are Rossini Motorsport ones I'll have you know. :closedeyes: ...mit der matching neck supports...and bloody comfortable they are too.!...and give the lumbar support Toyota deemed unnecessary...silly sods.

Won't be everyone's cup of char of course...but am I bovvered.?..you decide. ;)

They suit me...this old git needs his comfort. :rolleyes: ...and just for your cheek I'll make sure you see them here too.!!....deal with it.! :laugh2:

Neil

post-46384-0-59136100-1442564524_thumb.jpgpost-46384-0-06015400-1442564545_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I did consider the GT86, actually for a good while i was set on getting one - but current prices and other things got in the way.

Now though i doubt i'll get near one, unless Gibby brings his round wanting something done to it :rolleyes: ;)

• 7 months later...

just a update on the gt86 idea,took one out for a test drive,back seats are pretty pointless and also i was quite disappointed about how quick it felt,deffo felt slower than the celica,also been reading from the gt86 owners club about issues people are having already and i have to say im quite put of the idea now,its a shame as its a lovely looking car but this is just one guys list of issues already

1. Transmission - crunching in first, second, third and fourth now even after an hour of driving. Sometimes not allowing selection of a gear, sometimes grinding as if the clutch wasn't pressed.
  2. Probably linked to 1, the car will happily jump forward when engaging first gear with the clutch fully depressed.
  3. Rattles all around the internal trim.
  4. Excessively loud clutch switch (or something else going on to make the clutch knock when pressed).
  5. Passenger side window has started leaking.
  6. Squealing brakes.
  7. Oil leak on triangular plate at the back of the engine.
  8. Bluetooth randomly disconnects and won't reconnect until the car's been switched off and back on again.
  9. Stereo often can't see my iPhone when plugged into the USB, same with iPod Nano and USB sticks. Doesn't see all music when using MP3.
  10. New today, annoying noise in the boot. I think it's where the connector is at the left. Sounds like something tapping rather loudly on the metal of the car. Reminds me of my dad's old Morris Ital estate when it was 15 years old and been punished for man of those years carrying around all his joinery equipment.

shame :(

Interesting and disappointing to hear of the feedback from the GT86, such a lovely looking car and adding the supercharger kits really turns them into a serious weapon.

They are working on a new celica and a gt4 4wd version based off the gt86 so I'd just hang on and save for a year or two

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Where are you getting the info mate, I would to believe it's true but I am sure the gen 7 is the last of the Celica's. The GT86 was to be the new sports coupe from Toyota and they are making a AWD turbo version of the GT86 launching next year.

Yer I was disappointed as really had my heart set on one,the one I test drove was a 15 plate,but after reading about oil leaks on the engines when they are so new has kinda put me off a bit,would be great if they made a new celica but just can't see that happening,AWD gt86 would be good but they need to sort out the faults with this model frist.

just a update on the gt86 idea,took one out for a test drive,back seats are pretty pointless and also i was quite disappointed about how quick it felt,deffo felt slower than the celica,also been reading from the gt86 owners club about issues people are having already and i have to say im quite put of the idea now,its a shame as its a lovely looking car but this is just one guys list of issues already

1. Transmission - crunching in first, second, third and fourth now even after an hour of driving. Sometimes not allowing selection of a gear, sometimes grinding as if the clutch wasn't pressed.
  2. Probably linked to 1, the car will happily jump forward when engaging first gear with the clutch fully depressed.
  3. Rattles all around the internal trim.
  4. Excessively loud clutch switch (or something else going on to make the clutch knock when pressed).
  5. Passenger side window has started leaking.
  6. Squealing brakes.
  7. Oil leak on triangular plate at the back of the engine.
  8. Bluetooth randomly disconnects and won't reconnect until the car's been switched off and back on again.
  9. Stereo often can't see my iPhone when plugged into the USB, same with iPod Nano and USB sticks. Doesn't see all music when using MP3.
  10. New today, annoying noise in the boot. I think it's where the connector is at the left. Sounds like something tapping rather loudly on the metal of the car. Reminds me of my dad's old Morris Ital estate when it was 15 years old and been punished for man of those years carrying around all his joinery equipment.

shame :(

my mate had one brand new when they first came out - must be coming up to 3 years now, has done around 30,000 miles and had no problems so far, perhaps an abused one?

Ive sat in the back of his on a 4 mile journey and im 6foot, wasnt great but wasnt any worse than the 7

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.