celica GT vs GT86

Me Grandad wer a miner an all, wokked down pit all his life he did. He never had a motor car, but did have one of those new fangled telephones installed in the 70's.

..and just to keep loosely on topic, when he retired, he was given a Japanese watch ;)

• Like 2

Problem is that sort of cash nets you a lot of power from other cars compared to the 86. Peeps tend to buy power not handling

Yes, peeps that can only drive in a straight line.

Edited by GreyRacer

I'm inclined to agree with sly on that last point the popularity of turbo'd hot hatches is good proof of it.

I'm all for the GT 86 ethos, but price/performance is still a tough one to overcome when thinking of the Honda S2000, they are getting older admittedly but can be picked up for far less than any 86, with around 250hp of high revving N/a goodness, with FR drivetrain in a lightweight chassis, you can even put the roof down!

if people are all about the BHP then why are they driving a 190 ;) lots of other cars for the similar price when that came out with more power yet they sold plenty of them :thumbs:

anyone who thinks power is everything I invite them to drive my levin its only got 165bhp :D

• Like 1

if people are all about the BHP then why are they driving a 190 ;) lots of other cars for the similar price when that came out with more power yet they sold plenty of them :thumbs:

anyone who thinks power is everything I invite them to drive my levin its only got 165bhp :D

^ This.

True enough, but things have moved on and there is a market for the hot version of these kinds of cars both in Japan and Europe, even with the advent of the small micro type car scene. Honda and Nissan, Ford, Vauxhall etc etc all cater for the customers that like that kind of thing.I forecast strong sales for the latest Civic type R and I still think Toyota are missing a trick here.

True enough, but things have moved on and there is a market for the hot version of these kinds of cars both in Japan and Europe, even with the advent of the small micro type car scene. Honda and Nissan, Ford, Vauxhall etc etc all cater for the customers that like that kind of thing.I forecast strong sales for the latest Civic type R and I still think Toyota are missing a trick here.

I think thats why the guys at toyota mentioned to me about a turbo version coming soon. if they are talking about it then is has to have a bit more substance than just rumour ;)

people can have their all out power if they want. I think you are spot on thought that toyota are missing out on a big chunk of the market, a turbo 86 is going to make the non turbo more popular too

If someone put the money for a new car in my pocket, I would be done the road to buy a GT86 like a shot, but that's mainly because I have a thing about Toyota.

A lot of my personal firsts happened in cars with two rings on the bonnet.

But for your average car buyer a genuine four seat hatch back with performance that can almost match the 86 (or better) on the straight and round the bends is always going to be attractive.

Step forward the market segment that Honda own with the CIvic R and S, and Toyota have opted out of.

The Auris T180, which is no longer available, was at best a 'warm' hatchback although I enjoyed driving mine. The closest Toyota came to a hot hatch was the supercharged Corolla.

I'll have one of them if anyone's got a clean one.

Not me actually...I want curling tongs and hairdriers over raw power. ;)

Neil

fixed that for ya bud :P

there are some stunning examples seen at the shows, they are a lovely car and i wood have one only for the lack of rear legroom and cash :angry: the 5 has heaps more rear legroom i thought compared and bigger boot.

• Like 1

I know Toyota want to focus on fuel economy these days but they definitely should have had a turbo version of the GT86 so at least it's an option for those who look for this sort of car but with more power. Other manufacturers are cutting the 0-60 times down more and more each year they should keep up to keep those customers that want that as one of the top priorities in a sports car.

Over 10 years ago they were doing it with the Supra and GT4 which made them the legends that they are today so why not on the GT86?

Edited by alex282

86 is a great handling car after all its had input from keiichi tsuchyia (bad spelling) the drift king.

Problem these days is even diesel masters have power and any challenge on the road is always in a straight line not like in Japan.

However an empty pallet dropped off a lorry not too long ago on a dual carriageway and I had to react quick to dodge it. The celica is amazing at manuvers like that would have deffo crashed a 3series.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.