celica GT vs GT86

I'd love a gt86 if I had play money afterwards, which sadly isn't happening anytime soon.

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/Toyota/BRZ-GT86-SPEC-S

The big mod being at the bottom of that page but even the basic wheels suspension and lighting mods would need to be done too.

Aero versions are nice but I find the spoiler very much overkill for a relatively low powered car, all a bit too shouty for me, the rest of its kit and wheels are a big plus though.

Looking at cars currently for sale, I'm in love with the leather from the TRD and Giallo editions, but it's hard to find in the other models. It'll be interesting to see what other special editions come over the models lifespan.

"Having acquired one of the very first cars in the UK, we methodically tested the standard car, highlighted its shortcomings and then started the development work on the improvements"

:lol: "We slapped a supercharger on it"

As a few others have said the back seats in a Gen 7 are also virtually unusable for anyone with legs! The only 2 major differences imo are age/price FWD or RWD.

More modern car and I'd have bought one when they came out had the rear seats been usable and bit bit more oomph from the engine. Wheels and spoiler are marmite. It handled well enough on its skinny Prius tyres. Been up against a couple on track. Found them a little faster at the end of the straights but my handling still had it though the complexes. A lot of deals around on them now as they have not sold as many as Toyota wanted.

I never understand the Prius tyres comment (unless it's sarcasm that I have missed), because as far as I know GT86's have 215/45 R17 tyres which is exactly the same as a Gen 7 :think:

With extra money coming in, my first question would be..do you have a mortgage?. If so, look to increase your monthly repayments, so it's paid off earlier.

Boring, but sensible.

As for the Celica versus GT86 question..the Gen 7 is the better looking car, and being FWD with a hatch, a better "all rounder".

Wouldn't disagree, Kev....on all counts..and there's certainly no chance of me buying a GT86 anytime soon.

I like my Celica far too much right now. Despite it's niggles (very few) I can't remember a car that has ticked so many boxes for me.

Neil

Because they were originally fitted with the very same EOM tyres as fitted to the Prius.

The standard tyres are 215/45R17 87W Michelin Pilot Primacy. These are primarily designed as a low resistance tyre for increased MPG but Toyota knew that because of the tyres characteristics, low resistance tyres can be forced to brake away and drift hence putting more fun factor into the GT86.

• Like 1

I've also made the jump from a GT to a GT86 (well Gen6 GT) and I don't regret it.

There was the initial 'oh shit' moment when trying to get the kids in the back (7yr old and 4yr old) but we cope. For longer journeys where we need the comfort we have the Auris.

Yes it needs a little fettlign to get more out of the engine - but look at the complete package! This was planned as a car that enthusiasts could tweak, abd purists could keep as is. Both could have fund driving it.

Would I change back - in a word no. I modified a lot on my Gen6 but not really getting anything back from 12yrs of owning the same car. The Gen6 was a nice car to drive, but the GT86 just feels so much 'tighter'.

Go for a few test drives - a few quick easy mods are noted on the GT86 OC.

I paid £21k for mine on a late '14 plate but have the comfort of just over 4yrs warranty left should I have any issues.

I may start some smaller cheap mods this summer then look at more expensive options in the future once I've paid a bit more off. NB I will keep all the parts I take off this time to replace when I end up selling in about another 10yrs time or I upgrade again in a few years.

All this is dependent on what you actually want from your car.If you just want a nice new car with a little bit of zip,that looks nice,and you're not one for the odd traffic light grand prix then you can buy a GT86.If you're a bit more more enthusiastic than that,but you're not a track day person,then you dont buy a GT86.I couldn't spend 20 grand on a 'sports car', paying sports car insurance and maintenance costs,knowing that almost every other sporty car around me ,be it a Ford ST,or a horrible Vauxhall,will probably kick my ass.Thats just me,I'm not you.I'm not anti GT86 at all,but it doesnt cut it for me for what i would want from a sports car,especially for that kind of money and knowing what other manufacturers are producing.

Mine is my daily driver, it's fun enough to make me smile, more economical than the celica was and cheaper insurance too. Like Ben mine is covered by 4 years warranty, so hopefully not too expensive to maintain. I had lost the love for my GT after having it for 6 years, I knew it was time to move on.

But as everyone has said, it very much depends on what you want from a car and how you intend to use it. I think you need to take one out for a good test drive (I had mine for a good 4 hours out in the Norfolk countryside) and go from there.

I started a topic GT86 1/12/2011 after my test drive. I had 112 replies but for some reason the forum will not let me access it or make a link to it. Apparently I am denied access to my own post?

I drove a GT86 when it was released in 2012. I really missed the lift and the car felt a bit slow. I did love the handeling of the car. My next car will be a GT86, but one with a TRD or Aero kit and with a bit more power. I read great things on remapping and running EU98 (this enables full benefit of a new intake and exhaust system). 0-60 in 5.8 sec which you will never reach with a slightly modded Celica GT / TS .

Edited by Vin

Its simple really,for Looneys original question then if hes looking for a car with a good chassis,nice equipment and he's not bothered about the performance,ie its about the same as what he's got (ish) and he's happy to spend the money then why not,you take one out and if you think its great then you buy it just like Miss C has,no issue there.You need to look at it like the MX5,because its fairly light and RWD and has a good chassis you can have fun without loads of power,fair enough.

On the other points though .....this is from a performance view.heres a typical example of where Toyota have come performance wise.On the youtube vid above there's a film on the TRD 86 and the HKS supercharged one.So obviously the charged car will be a nice weapon,but hang on,theres a TRD version (I know its an older vid).So when this was made,theres a TRD version that gives you bigger wheels,better brakes and it handles a lot better,which is cool.But nothing under the bonnet,so apparently its a touch slower in a straight line than a standard car.So this is the result of the Racing Development,AND they charged 31 grand for it as well!Frankly thats a joke and a bit of an insult to the whole point of having a performance arm of your production.Do you buy an AMG Merc and finding out its no quicker than a standard car?Do you buy the Type R version of your Honda and find out its no quicker than a standard car?No.Unbelievable.

And that's the subject done for me . :giveup::D

Not sure where GreyRacers thread is,id merge them if i could find it.Must be in the files somewhere in this lot...

Has anyone compared it to the sub brz? Would be interesting to know as the 2 look similar. Has been a few time u thought I spotted a gt86 to get closer and find out it was a scooby

i agree,i think the price is just too much at the moment when you think i already have the same car really but FWD,power wise theres not much in it at all,and i quite like lift!

so have decided to keep the GT and do her up :)

I think some of us get bored of our Gen 7 now and again whether it be due to the lack of low end torque, poor reputation in the car scene or just having the same car for a long time

But when you really think about it, it still looks better than almost every other car in the price range (and above), and ticks a lot more boxes than anything else

Keep that lovely GT until you are absolutely sure that the next car won't make you regret selling it for

• Like 1

my problem is i need a car that will do the miles,as i do about 16k a year,i could afford a scooby or evo 6 or something like that,but they are more weekend cars tbh and would cost me loads in fuel doing 16k a year,so i need a daily that ticks all the boxes and the only thing out there is the gen 7 really,and i cant think off anything else that would be as reliable

Toyota keep trying to talk me into a GT86 when I go in for repairs, even took me out in an extended test drive and offered to match what I paid for mine from Toyota in 2013 so I'm guessing sales may be slow ;) I did quite like it but not enough to justify the 4-5 times extra cost of my Celica and the lack of back seat space really decides it for me. My partners TT is no good in the back so my Celica is the practical car for days out with the kids :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.