Welcome to Celica Club UK

Welcome to Celica Club UK, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Use the wealth of knowledge our members have to help with any questions you may have.

Sign in to follow this  
geraintthomas

Quality, toys & optional extras over the generations.

Question

I drove next to a Gen 5 GT-Four for a while on the motorway yesterday. After about 15 minutes, he held up a sign saying "Services?", so we stopped at the next services and had a good chat.

It was a white, Japanese imported Gen 5 GT-Four which was up from 6psi to 16psi, running over 300bhp. He's well into his Celica's, and I've told him about the club.

Either way he showed me the car. I thought mine was good in terms of refinement etc, but wow. His had electric seat bolsters that you could move so that they hold you tighter, the steering wheel pops up when you want to get out of the car so you can move your legs more, it had 10 speakers as an optional extra Toyota sound package (I think it had a badge saying Super Sound something), and plenty of other bits and bobs. It was insane. For a car that's at that age, it was hugely kitted out as standard.

And I just thought, "why the hell did they stop doing this"? Comparing a Gen 5 to a Gen 7 in terms of looks and you can tell it's a lot older - I don't mean that in a bad way, the Gen 5 is a gorgeous car, what I mean is that it's an obvious looking classic car, what with the block tail lights, pop up headlights and dated interior. It's not what we'd call 'modern' but still lovely in it's own right.

So when you compare it to a Gen 7 for example, the only thing the Gen 7 has going for it when it's put up against a Gen 5 is the fact that it looks more modern, inside and out. That's it?! It's not as quick, not as kitted out and not built as well. Don't get me wrong I love my car, but I've had to do quite a bit to it to make it to the standard that it's at now.

What I'm trying to get at is this - the Gen 7 was the modern counterpart to the previous celica, as with any successor in car generations, but if you put a Gen 7 in a Gen 5's skin, it hasn't got anything going for it. It's just the cosmetics that what wins some people over.

What on earth were Toyota thinking?

• Like 1

32 answers to this question

good thing about the gen7 celica is that they are so adaptive to change as In modding wise with all the kits or oem+1 stuff you could have 3 together an they can look so different but I Spose in a sense some would say that's a bad thing as they should have come as a certain way I just see it as a blank canvas an let imagination loose :)

^^^ above well said! There is a lot to be said for having a blank canvas if you want to make something that is individual to you. Judging by the variety of Gen 7s I have now seen in the flesh, that is certainly the case amongst members.

Of course, that option is not to everyone's taste, and some of us like original specs because that is what it is - original and classic.

i have near on most of the extras toyota done for the gen5 on mine now

wind deflectors

sun roof visor

rear boot visor

air purifier

clean box

arm rest draw

sls door cards

rear tweeters

electric lumber supported leather seats

fog lights with fog light switch on the indicator stalk (not fitted to uk 182)

The one thing I hate is that the spoiler is an optional extra. They look AWFUL without one. And I just saw a GT86 without a spoiler?! Hasn't Toyota learnt just to leave the damn things on?!

• Like 1

The one thing I hate is that the spoiler is an optional extra. They look AWFUL without one. And I just saw a GT86 without a spoiler?! Hasn't Toyota learnt just to leave the damn things on?!

It's an age thing, gt. When you get older, you'll realise why they're called.."spoilers".

Sign in to follow this