Hello, just joined / bought a Gen 7, with a couple of questions

Hey guys. First of all a quick hello as I have just joined and setup membership.

I lurked on here years back when I had this Gen 6 probably way back in 2004 / 2005.

DSC00230_640x480.jpg

Hopefully it's still out there and going strong.(T695 LCA)

After the celica I bought the car I always wanted, a twin turbo toyota Supra. The car was immensely fast at 407Bhp but living with it as an only car and for works trips and the worry of further large repair bills with a 22 year old car made me look for something a bit more sensible, reliable and in general better all round condition.

1.jpg

Anyway after selling the car I was looking at 2nd gen MR2s but again thought they were getting a little old and so turned my attention to a newer celica and bought this yesterday.

IMG_20150714_193543105_zpszgnuzcgi.jpg

In general the car bodywork is in great condition and I am certain it's known here as it has a club logo on the window although it has been given a private plate since it was last known (will try and find the old one). Does anyone know used to own it? Not from a stalking point of view I promise :) but more to see what work they had carried out that might help with a few things. The previous owner has only had it since Jan this year so fairly recent. I'm liking the car so far, nice and clean but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the loss of torque compared to the Supra but it seems like it's only had a few things done to it compared to the old car which had lots of mods carried out by previous owners.

IMG_20150715_081715034_zps5qbdthkq.jpg

So my few brief questions. I am fairly certain all the brakes are shot and need a complete overhaul as there was lots of brake judder on the way home.

The front brakes seem to be these aftermarket Willwood ones. Are these a known common upgrade? I did some searching but couldn't find much information about them. Do you think they would be stock size discs? or at least could be replaced with stock ones and does anyone know if you can get refurb kits for these brakes? The Willwood site didn't seem to list anything but I will have them off the car at some point to see if I can see any identifying marks.

IMG_20150715_081459664_zpsj9hv0x8x.jpg

These are the back brakes, not in very good condition. I presume they are stock calipers with aftermarket discs?

IMG_20150715_081508185_zps9nhxuv8f.jpg

I am tempted to get rid of the lot and get new discs all round and see if I can find some stock calipers to refurb. Are these available and cheap enough?

The previous, previous owner had added a different spoiler I think from the GT version but it must have different fittings as there is a hole covered up with an emblem in the middle. I think my options are to go back to the stock spoiler or get it filled. Has anyone got this hole sorted with new metal in or do people just use a rubber bung? Not sure what the best approach is.

IMG_20150715_081726930_zps7z0inlsf.jpg

The interior of the car seems in good general condition but I notice it has an aftermarket stereo which is great but it also has a big sub in the boot which is not secured in anyway and someone has drilled the door cards to get these doohickeys in that drive the speakers. It doesn't seem like the front speakers are wired in from what I can tell but will have the door cards off at some point.

And last question I promise. Apparently the air con does not work anymore even after a fresh gassing. Looking at the paperwork I got with the car I can see a mention on one of the services that the air con compressor had siezed. Is it possible to replace these, get it refurbed or find a decent aftermarket part? I think I read the alternator and compressor are all one unit.

Anyway, good to be here :)

IMG_20150715_081647152_zpsueslug7p.jpg

Edited by Harry-Dave

Welcome!!

Yes those wilwoods are after market. If they need a refurb do it. The stock brakes are pretty crap.

As said freaky parts on here is the man when you need brakes. Those rears look fit for the bin.

BrakepartsinternationAl can provide a refurb kit.

The spoiler hole I can't help with lol.

But if you do decide to swap the wilwoods for stock calipers I'd happily snap you hand off for the wilwoods. But seriously don't.

This car looks very familiar, especially with the badge over the middle spoiler hole.

Those speaker crossovers can be relocated inside the doorcards which would look a lot neater.

If you're going to fill the middle hole maybe look at doing the rear fogs too, smooth bumpers look good imo.

Where abouts are you based?

I did have a spare aircon compressor from my old sports M but I think I chucked it, may be best to ask ams for one.

As above keep the wilwoods!

Get some Mtecs on the rear too.

Looks like you have a nice example to tinker with though!

Yup as above speak to Freaky and ams for the bits. Can't tell exactly what you have without under bonnet and better interior shot. Guessing not a genuine GT or there would be no holes mid boot lid so probably a TSport with new spoiler , side skirts, front lip combo. May even be a 140 ?

Hi, & :wttc:

Apart from the snow plough/ironing board, you have some both tasteful and expensive modifications on your T Sport.

Amit (aka AMS) may well be able to supply an undamaged pair of door cards, when you relocate the crossovers :)

Ha none of the work is mine yet, just brought it home at 7pm yesterday, adding a tank of petrol is as far as I have gone. Thanks I will deffinately look at getting new door cards, undecided if I just want to use aftermarked speakers and ditch all the other bits at the moment.

:wttc:

I can't see the pictures due to being in work at the moment however in terms of the Wilwoods, they are by far the best value for money modification you can get on the Gen 7 (in my opinion - of course others may disagree). The improvement not only in stopping power (if required) but the brake pedal feel - gives you much more confidence when driving.

I done some reading on these and should not really require a refurb. Perhaps cleaning the pistons is the best thing to do if you are going to take them out and give them a good clean down.

Let me know how you get on with the refurb kit for the rears, mine are shot and need new disks, pads and will probably just buy refurbed calipers from the bay.

Was it Bradford based before?

I picked it up from a guy in Croydon but he had only owned it since January and I have brought it back home to Bristol.

It shouldn't need too much done to bring it up to scratch. I think all the rear brake setup is toast and looking through old MOT stuff I got with the car this has been a problem for some time with brakes binding and disks wobbling.

However on a quick search around the bay I found copy parts of all the rear setup (pads, calipers, discs) from brakeparts.co.uk for £180, bit of a bargain I think!.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231337866011?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'll get those installed in the next week or so. After that I'll get the exhaust replaced as it has a hole in it, not too serious but would probably fail the MOT, again i'll probably grab a stainless one off ebay and hope it fits right.

All thats left is a bit of the boot plastic on one sides needs swapping, the dash panel cubby hole for an uncut one and the air con. I sent a message to AMS so hopefully air con will be sorted this week.

Cheers Freakyparts, you are already on my list. I just need to visit my folks to get a car jack as the car didn't come with one but will measure these front disks when I get the backs sorted. I already have some rubber friendly brake grease so hopefully the front calipers are fine, just need freeing up and its just the disks that are gone.

One of my friends said wilwoods should have a reference number somewhere on them.

The kit isn't a Wilwood kit, the only parts that's Wilwood is the calipers.

They're not sliding calipers like most production cars, so don't suffer from the slider sticking - as there aren't any. If they're sticking it will be a piston inside the caliper which involves a strip down and refurbish. Not a mammouth task but will take the best part of the day.

If you do remove a front caliper, make sure you clean the bolts up and reapply some thread lock to stop the bolts vibrating loose.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.