Thudding noise when braking.....?!

Not sure if this is a general issue as brake related but here goes...

After a spirited drive I noticed that when I was applying the brake I was getting a sort of thudding sound which seemed to be coming from the front drivers brake. This only happened when brakes were applied and wheels were moving freely when not braking. Any idea what this could be? I done some searching and a common cause appears to be lose brake pads. So I took off the wheels and had a look at the brake pads however could not see that they were lose. I only checked the fronts before the heavens opened up but certain that is where it is coming from. In the process, when I was taking off the drivers side wheel, I have spacers and one of the extended bolts, was attached to my studs....not sure if this would be the cause?

Car - Gen 7 T Sport

Brakes - Wilwood Dynalites (front) Standard (rears)

On my last MOT, the guy did say the rear brakes barely passed the requirements so not sure if these could have went.

Car is starting to do my head in with all the brake related issues it seems to be throwing up. I really do not want to revert back to standard calipers on the front. I am waiting till the end of the month to replace the rear disks pads and calipers.

Might be worth noting that there doesn't appear to be any impact on the brakes performance, but I am obviously being pretty careful so might not be applying the brakes as I normally would as get the recurring thudding noise.

Any help would be great guys.

It's weird, I get a thud too. It's like a metal 'clank' when braking, happens more when going downhill (weirdly), and doesn't happen at all going up hill.

I never got round to figuring out what it was because I think it's one of the front calipers. In two weeks, I'll have Wilwood Superlites on the car, and I'll report back to say if the clunking has gone or not.

If it has then it's probably different to yours as you already have uprated calipers. If it hasn't gone then I'm assuming it's suspension related, even though my shocks, springs and droplinks have been replaced. I only hear it from time to time though, so I'm not bothered.

• Like 1

"On my last MOT, the guy did say the rear brakes barely passed the requirements"

Probably the best place to start bud :)

I've had 2 sorts of clunking & thudding over the last 6 months - first up, the rear calipers were fubar & made an horrendous noise until I replaced everything. Second, in the process fitting said replacements, I threw on a Whiteline rear ARB & new droplinks. Again, an horrific clunking sound developed a week later which turned out to be a droplink nut that just simply needed nipping up.

Worth noting, that in both instances it sounded like the chassis was falling to pieces & "felt" like it was coming from the front :rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

Pretty certain this is down to a sticky caliper on the rear. I am going to take the car off the road for a bit until I get all the odd jobs sorted out.

Near disks, pads and calipers for the rears - will probably add braided lines to match the fronts.

Custom exhaust build as silencer is away in mine and does have a leak of emissions.

hopefully won't be more than £400 all in and then I can get back to fully enjoying driving the car, I still have to look at it when I walk away from parking her up, such a good looking car - so I know the love is still there!

As always, thanks again guys! :thumbs:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.