Sustained High RPM

matt1

I'm currently living in Germany and doing a fair bit of long distance Autobahn driving. This usually involves me cruising at 5k rpm for hours and hours. Breaks every couple of hours and going between 3-4 k occasionally, but usually cruising at 5k when the road is clear.

I was just wondering if I can do anything to ensure the engine holds up fine to these conditions, any preventative maintenance needed etc?

Think I've covered off the main things that would come to mind...

- Cooling: I've recently fitted a new rad and used Toyota red coolant, never goes above 3rd level on the guage

- Oil: Nice and fresh 5w-40 of Millers finest

- Tyres: Upped pressures to 34/35 for high speed cruising

- Brakes: Obviously these are tip top

Thanks in advance!

Matt

I think you've pretty much covered all your bases to be fair, the only other thing I can think of would be a check of any heat shields/engine covers and make sure they're all fixed into place properly. Other than that I'd say check the things you've mentioned above each week and make sure fluids are topped up and everything else is within tolerances.

Might also be worth looking into fitting an aftermarket cruise control system especially seeing as you're travelling the autobahn.

To be honest it doesn't get that hot in the engine bay because its got 115mph-ish worth of air running through.

I've given the underside a good look over when I did the control arm bushes the other day and made sure the plastics are all clipped/zip tied on nice and secure.

I guess a metal front undertray would be nice, but they're rare and expensive

• Like 1

I agree. Tyres/brakes and tip top fluids are key for sustained high speed motoring. Regular bonnet opening for visual checks on belts and everything else is another. Nitrogen filled tyres is sometimes recommended :)

After that, it's always nice to have a good set of gauges to keep check on oil pressure/temp etc....personally I like to keep an eye on the oil temperature :)

Might be worth grabbing a cheap laser thermometer gun from Ebay to check the brakes now and again. I have one and they're great, I can easily check if one wheel is braking more or less than the other. Might be useful to check if your brakes are nice and free on long runs.

Just a suggestion! Other than that, inspect radiator pipes (unless they were new too), and enjoy the ride :)

Funnily enough I just picked one up the other day and check my brakes at the weekend after a few hours on the autobahn, 60degrees up front 50degrees on the back within a few degrees side to side. Handy little device

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.