Cleaning Engine bay plastics

I went out and did the engine bay plastics earlier with AutoGlym Bumper Care to show you what it's like:

AKO6AbL.jpg

ZffUGrZ.jpg

nAPJ1dB.jpg

Gives the plastics a deep black satin finish, and masks any imperfections. Just apply with a pad or cloth and leave as is :)

• Like 1

Aerospace 303 is the stuff you need for a long lasting finish. Use this stuff on all my plastics although it is not cheap.

^^^ This, it looks a little shiny at first but it soon settles down and lasts ages

Sly, no one seems to have answered your Q re what Compound is. It is a fine grinding solution ie an abrasive which is good for bring a shine to clear plastic, but you should lacquer them now or the haze will return as in effect you have sanded of the original glaze or what was left of it.

The white left on your engine plastics was the fine grit of the compound which becomes visible as it dries.

I just use soapy water and whatever tyre blacking product I have to hand.

hth

Oh yeah, forgot about that question.

You know when people mask up their plastics blwhen polishing a car? To stop it going onto it and turning white? Well what you've done is essentially polished plastics directly. So never a good idea! As Daytona said though, soapy water and it should come off.

I was wondering about paint on plastics since the plastics can flex would the paint not crack?

well sly the particular paint i used on my plastics is actually oil and and petrol resistant according to the Canbrush makers :

http://www.canbrush.co.uk/

Edited by celica1977

• 2 weeks later...

I always use the really cheap tyre cleaner/shine usually found in Pound land or B&Ms for less than £1, works great on the under bonnet plastics sprayed on then use a brush to get into the awkward areas, wipe off with a cloth, nice and clean, not shiny and doesn't collect dust.

I use these, i think their really good, leave a long lasting shine aswell, when i took these pics, i hadn't cleaned the engine bay for a couple of weeks and it still had a nice shine to them.

d5cde2adf938c88179a73b3d42c26148.jpg

12f9f94e23188dd4548441a06545479e.jpg

f6daf6fe91d9cbc52b0c6713128822b3.jpg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.