Would like to be a GT4 owner again

Sumps, brakes and track are the same.

Later jap had airbags.

JDM has climate control, elec folding mirrors, no rear fog and reads in km/h (limited to 112mph)

Uk has headlight washers and bonnet spoiler and oblong rear plate surround.

Uk has egr but power difference is down to ecu and fuel.

Jdms tend to be slightly more expensive to insure for some reason considering they are 99% identical to uk cars.

my jdm 185 sump has no oil level hole unlike my 182 did

im going to put my uk bonnet spoiler and light washers on my jdm, all the wires/plugs are there

as for insurance, the jdm 185 is 30£ dearer compared to the uk 182 :)

think uk has a cold start injector and jdm dont, think i say. theres less sensors on the water elbow

• Like 2

Some of the things are kind of hard to tell in 2015 ref the metal blade turbos vs the ceramic ones because the UK and JDM cars are probably not on their original turbos. You will have to hunt around to find that information as its not common knowledge but it is out there.

As for the track width this site lists a 5mm difference between EU cars and non EU cars http://www.gtfours.co.uk/stuff/facts/205/facts.htm

You can notice that one when you try and fit coilovers......

I currently own a JDM GT4 and last year i owned a UK gt4 at the same time as my JDM.....my tape measure disagrees with the width thing.

as for the brakes uk cars have the exact same callipers as JDM cars. if you have an st205 with twin pot front brakes then you don't have an st205

you can get insurance for the same price regardless if its JDM or UK if you know the right people to speak toi.e. sky/adrian flux/green light etc to name but a few.

To compare ST185s and ST205s I think the drivers are very different and each car attracts a very different crowd....I think thats a point worth considering. I will say the gen 5 lot seem very friendly and helpful types in general and there is a real passion for those cars and fellow club members and thats really cool in my book.

You mentioned UK 205s cars OP and the main issue with these is the question of rust.....UK cars usually have this pretty bad. That should definitely be at the top of your check list if you are looking for one of these. Fresh JDM imports will hardly have any, although I don't think this applies to JDM cars that have been over here for a long time, I don't know if the JDM ones were even undersealed from the factory either

I'm glad you didn't say 'special'...! :)

We do have our differences in the Gen 5 - but we usually restrict it to differences between JDMs, UKs GT4s and CSs and RCs - not each other :lol:

I nearly waded in to say 'it's not what you say - it's how you say it' ! (as my mother always used to say to me as a child! It was a good piece of advice :) )

Jdm's have not got factory fitted rust :)

Not helping much am I :D

That is the single best piece of advice though. Mines been undersealed thoroughly a few times as well but holy crap.....its a brave man that chooses a UK car over a JDM. Some of them are horrendous and really just ready for the skip.

Some of the ones that are fresh off the boat from Japan look amazing. My mechanic had one in his place and it just looked like it had rolled out of the showroom. I must admit I don't understand how that can be? I know they don't salt the roads in Japan but they still get rain, snow etc......all fresh imports seem to be totally rust free though

I'm glad you didn't say 'special'...! :)

We do have our differences in the Gen 5 - but we usually restrict it to differences between JDMs, UKs GT4s and CSs and RCs - not each other :lol:

I nearly waded in to say 'it's not what you say - it's how you say it' ! (as my mother always used to say to me as a child! It was a good piece of advice :) )

I edited my post just for u hahaha.

I was just trying to 'Like' that, but a notice came up saying I've exceeded my quota for the day - WE HAVE A QUOTA???

It's not my fault that there have been lots of posts today that are good :) Perhaps it's only me because I'm a 'special' Gen 5 owner!

• Like 2

I don't know much about Gen 7s, but they don't have a GT4 do they? So they probably won't be reading this much. Although I did just google it and came up with

Fensport Celica GT4 X, 818bhp and 4 Wheel Drive with 2.0L Turbo 3S-GTE Engine conversion on a Gen 7!

I don't know much about Gen 7s, but they don't have a GT4 do they? So they probably won't be reading this much. Although I did just google it and came up with

Fensport Celica GT4 X, 818bhp and 4 Wheel Drive with 2.0L Turbo 3S-GTE Engine conversion on a Gen 7!

Which is basically a ST205 floorpan, running gear and engine with a Gen 7 body!

The ST205 is an evolution of the ST185. It is lighter, has a much stronger engine, better suspension setup, bigger brakes by quite some margin etc. I am sure a ST185 could be made to be similar but without going on a diet it is always going to be heavier.

As for looks the Gen 6 has the better rear end and the Gen 5 has the better front end. Although the Gen 6 edges it with its comical spoiler!

Needless to say which ever you want to have both options are better than a Gen 7! Real rally bred hero's!

Edited by bricktop

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.