DIY tyre fitting

c_jnz

I have quite a few sets of alloy wheels now and find a lot of the time after the wheels have been stored they develop leaks around the beads mainly due to surface corrosion inside the rim and need rubbing down and resealing.
I seem to be spending a lot of time and money at tyre fitters, and after going again today I really feel its something I could do myself with a few tyre levers and bead breaker.
Does anybody else remove and fit their own tyres, or have any recommends for tools?

my cousin runs a trye/exhaust centre, right across from my house :)

if its quiet i change my own tyres and balance them, but if they are busy i leave them in and its a 5er a tyre fitted and balanced

how much are they charging you to be thinking off tyre levers :blink:

TADARRRRRRR me to the rescue , ill get me cape

Ok using a machine is easy enough , blast um on and blast them off .

however there are `home ` machines around which require leverage rather than air to get the tyre off ) . these do work but you will spend a happy afternoon rolling around on the ground wondering if you could have simply slipped a kid at the tyre place a fiver for a Saturday afternoon special . These machines are good for knobbly beasties when your out playing on your quad but not so great on a pwetty alloy and shouldered low profile tyres .

Bunging them back on is another thing , Loads of soap and viola its on , Getting the bead is joyjoy fun fun at home . you need a decent compressor and luck ( pssst , remove the valve completely , allows air in quicker so it can bead ) . Expect to sweat and swear for an hour before just taking the bastard to the tyre place and watching them do it in milliseconds

Better bet is an old tyre machine that uses air . Push the bead off both sides , grab it with the machine , soap the rim and stick your bar in , pop off easily and back on great . Need other tools such as the bar , valve remover , brush and soap etc . Also need a 2x3 slab to hold the dam thing down plus a decent compressor , it gets expensive

Soooooo tyres off and your at it with the wire brush . So much easier to drop it onto the tyre ballancer and lean a file against it . However you dont have that luxury soooooo once clean and back together you will then suss those little balance weights accually do do something as you now cant see where your going over 45mph due to vibration ,,,, bugger ,back to the tyre place for a balance then at a fiver a tyre . You can do it at home with a frame , it does work but can be trial and error .

so would i recommend all this ? if you have room then yep go for it . Give it a year and everyone and his nan will come to you for puncture repairs . If its just to get a bit of rust off then hell no

• Like 2

At the two places I use I get charged either £15 or £20 to have a tyre off re fitted and balanced, thats taking it there myself loose.
I got caught short with a puncture and went to a kwikfit who charged me £25 last month, would have been more but I took the wheel off myself in the car park.

With this latest set of wheels I just bought and the puncture I have spent around £100 just having tyres swapped over and resealed and will need 2 new tyres on the GT4 soon.
When you look at some of the machines on ebay for around £100 it would work out cheaper in the long run, not necessarily easier and like you say, levering it off the rim is likely to fck them right up...

25 quid for a puncture at kwik-shit :o

are you walking funny after that mate :blink:

most big places dont like to do customers own tyres because they make minimum profit, thats why they jack the price up so much for your own stuff.

The one guy I use started out to be cash in hand £10 balanced but its £15 now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANUAL-PORTABLE-TYRE-WHEEL-CHANGER-BEAD-BREAKER-TIRE-MACHINE-CAR-BIKE-15-21-inch-/131415402927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e98f7e9af

This machine would do the job fine with getting the tyre off and refitting but works on the method of rolling the bar across the face of the lip to lever it up.
It would be fine for steels or winter rims not sure I'd fancy using it on decent rims.
But in theory £50 for the machine, £20 for a tub of bead seal and £20 for a tub of tyre lube, tyres fitted for life. Except for balancing :lol:

A lot of garages are Getting wise to tyre sites like camskill and tyreleader where you can make big savings. They have increased their fitting prices if they offer it at all which is annoying. Small independents who will fit them for cash in hand are best.

• Like 1

I was charged £10 earlier this week to fit my tyre to my newly refurbished wheel, including new valve with the new rubber bit (whatever it's called) and balance at Just Tyres in Huddersfield. I watched them do the work and they observed notable care to ensure there were no nicks and scratches. Can't imagine doing such a speedy and effective job myself with whatever DIY equipment might be available.

find your local HI Q ,,,,, there franchise so open to cash in hand . Last tyre i had sorted was a tenner

Sure enough after this thread im back fitting bloody rubber to the motorbike . Couldnt get the bead for love or money when blowing back up so gave up and stuffed a tube in there , sorted

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.