super unleaded

I think that is what I said if I press the throttle the same with higher octane I should get more speed/acceleration or similarly the same with less pedal travel i.e. less fuel. and as for driving sedately that is how I normally drive.

No it won't make a difference to your speed, and you wouldn't notice any difference in acceleration when driving sedately. Thats only if you rev it hard which you say you don't do. It will require less foot travel to get you moving though, that you should notice :)

You could always go for BP Ultimate 102 at £2.42/liter seems to be service stations mainly down South selling this stuff.

For real? I thought they stopped selling that a few years ago. is it still available??

For real? I thought they stopped selling that a few years ago. is it still available??

Think your right its been taken off the UK market my mistake thought it was still around for road use.

• 2 weeks later...

Tested the Tesco Momentum fuel this evening - rock solid 28 maximum knock after a good thrash. Based on that I'd go as far as saying it's better than the Shell stuff.

Tested the Tesco Momentum fuel this evening - rock solid 28 maximum knock after a good thrash. Based on that I'd go as far as saying it's better than the Shell stuff.

Happy days Joe, well done for letting us know. That's probably not a difference many would notice without the right equipment.

Glad the closest station to me is a Tesco now.

Just be careful with Tesco stations, don't assume they all have it! The most convenient one for me advertises it, has spare capacity for it (e.g. 2 petrol 1 diesel nozzle per pump) but doesn't sell it! Both petrol nozzles are standard unleaded.

Might it be the case that the higher octane in Tesco momentum reduces knock - and from that perspective might be as good or better than v-power, but I thought v-power also contains a mix of additives to clean and lubricate the engine and is therefore better from that perspective?

Or is this just sales talk?

Yes sorry, I shouldn't say it's better full stop. The Vpower stuff usually shows the same figure, but on occasional blasting I have seen it nudge low 30's. The Momentum hit 28 & didn't budge. Knock is all that matters to me.

In comparison, with the Texaco 97 it took very little right foot action & the readout was all over the place. 42 only revving to 5k & the day I hit 69 I hadn't even pushed past 6k revs. It was only the stock knock sensor flashing that made me shit it & back off.

If I drive the car like a vicar, then the 97 does fine, but any hint of having a bit of fun & it's actually scary.

Edited by J03
  • Like 1

Good info dude, thanks. Running 3sgte with Jdm mr2 ecu, so usually use nitro and feel guilty using momentum, but looks like it's better ! Use itnfornexactly same reason , detonation control.

Mines is mapped on 99 so I always fill up at Tesco. I'm not a good enough driver to notice great differences in fuel types but I do abhor having to fill up with 95, so I put just enough in to get me to the next Tesco. :)

Spelling errors caused by me not giving a toss

• 2 years later...
On 2015-5-2 at 10:45, J03 said:

Yes sorry, I shouldn't say it's better full stop. The Vpower stuff usually shows the same figure, but on occasional blasting I have seen it nudge low 30's. The Momentum hit 28 & didn't budge. Knock is all that matters to me.

In comparison, with the Texaco 97 it took very little right foot action & the readout was all over the place. 42 only revving to 5k & the day I hit 69 I hadn't even pushed past 6k revs. It was only the stock knock sensor flashing that made me shit it & back off.

If I drive the car like a vicar, then the 97 does fine, but any hint of having a bit of fun & it's actually scary.

First time iv seen factual info on momentum99 and vpower.

Everyone else goes on about it witha butt dyno guage. 

But cant argue with a knock sensor reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was run on 95 when I brought it tried v power didn't seem to like burnt through it like no ones business. Tried Tesco 99 ran smoother and quicker and I get 345 miles to a tank in my 190 not sure how much is down to the decat and cobra when it comes to range but deffo get more miles on Tesco 99. Might run vpower with a few tanks. Deffo better for engine though my car had it's MOT with its cat off and it passed it's emissions and I'm sure it's down to the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.