celica still dead

Have you tried turning the engine over with a socket on the crank pulley ?

Could be seized engine or jammed starter casuing massive current draw when the starter is driven.

OR

Could be a high resistance battery or poor connection causing a big voltage drop.

Check the big Earth lead from battery neg. to engine and the big lead from battery pos to starter. Check the joints are tight & clean, look for signs of overheating on the joints (melted plastic / discoloured wire or crimps).

• Like 1

Was going to try turning the engine with a spanner then i finished work but was belting it down. Might give the at got at the weekend. Will check them earths again tomoz. Really hope its not seized tho. Cant be bothered swapping the engine :(

That is the sound of your starter...coulld be a starter fault but my Beams does the same thing when the batt is low (car in storage) but when i jump start it no problem...I bob over and jump start it if that fails them it's your starter

That is the sound of your starter...coulld be a starter fault but my Beams does the same thing when the batt is low (car in storage) but when i jump start it no problem...I bob over and jump start it if that fails them it's your starter

this was the sound mine made, putting the booster battery pack on it still did it, putting a new battery on it fired up straight away and been fine since

If not starter motor then engine. But something is seized

put it in 6th gear an push it. You should be able to turn engine over pretty easy.

Looking through spark plug hole is rather pointless without endoscope, can't see cylinder wall.

I would say it is the battery. there is enough juice in it to light the dash, but the current draw to turn it over is pretty high so that is what the clicking is. Not enough power in it to engage the solenoid on the starter.

You could well have a dead cell in the battery.Especially if it has been standing for two years.

If the car is on it's wheels then you could always try putting it in gear and Bump starting it. It worked with me when my battery died. It is not an ideal way of getting things going but another avenue to explore.

Tried bump starting and nothing tried it while towing and nothing. Had 3 batteried on it now. Tried pushing in gear but just rocks like mad. Will try just starting later with soul45 see how that goes. Got a feeling itll be engine change time :(

Although mine is a different model I had something very similar.

One day, out of the blue, it just wouldn't turn over and I got a click from the starter motor.

As the starter motor was 40 years old I changed it for a known working one (on the bench anyway) and got the same fault. I knew the battery was good as it was fairly new so I checked the voltage to the starter through the main thick cable.

I had 12 volts at the battery terminal and 1 volt at the starter! The cable had deteriorated over the years and was creating a huge resistance to flow. Changing it cured the problem. This also happens to earth cables!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Tried bump starting and nothing tried it while towing and nothing. Had 3 batteried on it now. Tried pushing in gear but just rocks like mad. Will try just starting later with soul45 see how that goes. Got a feeling itll be engine change time :(

Can't make it till Sunday now...but we will get to the bottom of it !!!

• Like 1

Wheels never locked when i bump started it the 1st time round when when it cut out again it just rolled to a stop. As i said to soul45 its really weird as there was no warning signs of anything going to happen. It was running better than ever

You say you tried bump starting and tow starting. Did the wheels lock or clutch slip, or did the engine turn ?

Is it really that difficult to put a 19mm socket on the crank pulley and try turning that you'd just condemn an engine as seized without checking ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.