Squeaky PAS on start up - FOUND THE SQUEEL !

The aux belt is tensioned by a long bolt running underneath the alternator. You will first need to loosen another bolt going through the side of the tensioning block. This can be found under the alternator on the PAS reservoir side.

Once you have loosened the locking bolt then you can wind the tensioning bolt out until you can remove the belt from the alternator pulley.

The alternator pulley acts as the tensioner for the aux belt. Hopefully that makes sense but if not i can get some pictures for you :thumbs:

Find this bolt under the alternator. It is a nut on the 3S-GE and a bolt on the 7A-FE. 68C65A00-602F-49F6-BF3A-ADD0F279ED5E_zps

This is the nut/bolt up close.

303CD531-FC07-4044-902E-B56F06859EA7_zps

And on the 3S-GE you undo the pulley nut but on the 7A-FE there is a bolt underneath the alternator pulley.

7D168260-77AC-4B8A-9818-8187A5B3B9EE_zps

Any other issues just ask :)

Right ok so the set up on an ST is a little different to the pics but the principle is the same.

There is a long bolt that holds the bottom of the alternator and that runs through a square block with two threaded holes in it, you need to look for a bolt (14mm head iirc) going into this block from the PAS reservoir side of the engine similar to where the pulley is in my picture. LOOSEN this bolt and the alternator will be free to move.

You then need to take the rest of the tension from the belt by winding the long bolt (12mm head) going through the square block from the front of the engine (see picture as again it is similar) out.

This will loosen the belt enough to remove it from the alternator pulley :thumbs:

Wish i had a ST to make a quick vid with as it is hard to explain :D

Cheers mate that s a huge help :) I'm ordering my pas belt tomorrow and hopefully put all your good info to use by the week end! If I get stuck I'll let you know. I'll get some photos up too. Be goof to get this on the wiki for the ST

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys I have found the source of the squeel :)

Aux/Alternator belt is sticking almost coming to a stop and the squeel is the belt rubbing on the pully. Or I should say pully rubbing on the belt.

what could cause this?

1. crank engine and all is normal, revs normal, belts all moving normal.

2. turn steering wheel to put load on PAS pump and the Aux belt starts to go stiff and squeel around the altinator pully I think and the revs drop like its going to stall and the lights dim slightly when this is happening and the steering wheel feels notch when this is all happening.

3. stop turning the steering wheel and squeel stops and revs go back to normal.

When actually driving about there is no squeel or notchyness form the steering wheel. But e.g; when parking in a space and or pulling out of one when the the steetring wheel is notchy and the belt squeels again. But its the Aux belt not the PAS belt.

whats all this about?

Aux belt does seem quite loose, i'll put up a video in a few mins.

Is it loose or does this look about right?

Also the pas belt is tight. Cant twist it and only pushes down about half a centimeter.

video link

http://vid266.photobucket.com/albums/ii250/mattcelicasr/IMG_1491_zps9n2akhru.mp4

Edited by wintersun

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.