Squeaky PAS on start up - FOUND THE SQUEEL !

Hi all,

Every morning when I start her up the power steering squeals when I turn the wheel, bear in mind, most mornings when I start it up its very cold and damp out side. One turned the wheel 2 or 2 times the squeal stops.

How do I fix this?

Is it the belt that needs a tightening up? or PAS pump on it way out?

There fluid in the PAS reservoir.

Edited by wintersun

Mine does the same thing, it's because the fluid is thicker when it's cold because it's been standing and it's more difficult for the pump to push around the system. A little more tension on the belt should be all it needs, just check it's not already overly tight, if it is then the pumps probably on it's way out or at least in need of a fluid drain and change.

I'm off out to do mine now as I've found rare bit of spare time :rolleyes:

Hi yes it's a gen 6. How much slack should be on the pas belt? Also how to I tighten it, what do I have to do?

I've checked fluid and tbh it looks full on the little dip stick attached to the lid. But the dip stick is so short it's difficult to read lol

To tighten the belt you will need to get under the car lossen the two bolts that hold the pump in place and then lever it back away from the block and tighten the bolts back up I set mine so you can just twist the belt have a turn

• 2 weeks later...

Checked the pas belt today, didn't feel loose at all.

So is the squeeling screatching noise actually the belt slipping? Or could it be something else on the pump making that noise? Just trying to narrow down where the noise is from?

There's very little chance of it being anything else, a video might help rule out anything more sinister

Mine felt fairly tight with minimal play hence why it only squealed on cold start, just give it a little more tension, they don't like being even slightly slack

• 2 weeks later...

Right ok, attacked the PAS pump today, really easy to adjust the pumps belt tension. On the ST, their is one single nut right at the top on the pump, loosened that off and the pump pivets on an angle, so I got a long bar and pushed it back so th belt was tighter than before and locked the nut back up, it still squeals!!!

when driving, the pump is fine, no squealing when turning etc etc. It does squeal however when im stationary and turning the wheel. e.g.; pulling out of a car park space or stop and then turn into a space. Seems like when there is more resistance on the tyres/wheels the pump squeals, But when driving when there is less resistance on the wheels its fine.

It was only me out with the car today and my arms arent long enought o turn the steering wheel and look at the pump and belt at the same time. But when turning from lock to lock at a standstill im sure I could smell a hot rubber smell after its was squealing, like the belt is slipping over the pas pulling causing friction.

Basicly do I need a new PAS pump?

belt looked ok as far as I could tell, its probably the original !!

The fluid reservoir does look very oily and greasy and on the ST the fluid reservoir is right next to the belt, so I guess PAS fluid could have got on the pully/belt.

If you can get hold of some (halfords or the like) try spraying some carb cleaner onto the belt while it is squealing on a cold morning. It will temporarily clean the belt. If the belt has a contaminant on it then it will slip. The squealing should stop after spraying the belt.

Failing that i would just replace the belt unless you know when it was last done. Always start with the cheapest option and work up :thumbs:

can see here how close the

If you can get hold of some (halfords or the like) try spraying some carb cleaner onto the belt while it is squealing on a cold morning. It will temporarily clean the belt. If the belt has a contaminant on it then it will slip. The squealing should stop after spraying the belt.

Failing that i would just replace the belt unless you know when it was last done. Always start with the cheapest option and work up :thumbs:

Good call thanks!

If the pump was on its way out surley it would feel notchy all the time when driving? its only notchy and squealing when 1st started in the morning form cold or when the wheel is turned when the car is statioary.

Thing is the PAS belt is a V shaped belt and over time it will wear away, as the V wears down the friction co-efficient decreses and so even tightening the belt may not stop it from slipping. In my experience when a PAS pump is on it's way out then you either get less effective pumping and/or you will hear the bearing starting to rumble.

Obviously i can't diagnose it properly without seeing the car but i know i would rather replace a £10 belt before jumping for a £100 pump :thumbs:

Thing is the PAS belt is a V shaped belt and over time it will wear away, as the V wears down the friction co-efficient decreses and so even tightening the belt may not stop it from slipping. In my experience when a PAS pump is on it's way out then you either get less effective pumping and/or you will hear the bearing starting to rumble.

Obviously i can't diagnose it properly without seeing the car but i know i would rather replace a £10 belt before jumping for a £100 pump :thumbs:

Sounds good advice mate, thanks. There is deffinatley no rumble or anyother noise apart from belt squeal, I will replace the belt first and go from there ;) when I looked at the belt, it deffo looks worn since looking at new belts online.

I did notice that 1st thing in the morning when its cold and or damp outside, the belt would squeal on start up but very lightly, if I turned on the fans it would cause the belt to squeal more. Obviously not connected in any way, but its causing the altinator to do more work in return slowing the belts down a tad.

Going to order new belt and go from there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.