Hi peeps aint been around a while but looking at new Celica

th3cleric

Hi all

I got rid of my previous Celica end of May / June last year and bought a mx5 plus a cheaper car for daily drives due to many problems on the Celica.

Anyway i have kept my 5 and looking at another Celica as i now need a bigger car for weekly, am looking at a 140 as dont have funds for a 190 at minute and have seen a one nearby, not sure if it might have been a previous member or not but here is reg MV03LZE is it anyones old car on her?

Its only had 3 previous owners done 140k but looks nice in silver with TRD alloys on.

So hopefully next week or so can rejoin and get back into the fold, would i have to worry about the oil problem on a March 03 car even though it hasnt got facelift frontend

If it hasn't got a facelift front end then it's probably a pre-facelift engine. They changed around 03 so you'll see some pre-facelifts on an 03 plate.

If I were you? Don't buy it. Get a facelift car (the differences can be found on this forum between the two), and have peace of mind that it'll be fine.

Yes the facelift engine could have problems if it was neglected, but thats few and far in between - if you buy a pre-facelift 140 you're asking for trouble.

Save up a little more and get a facelift 140.

But, for the price of a facelift 140, you can get a pre-facelift 190, and those engines never had issues :) so might be worth considering.

• Like 1

You get a cross over period. Check the other bits like the rear lights, dial faces, interior plastic colours, and the front disc size. There's plenty of differences

Agree..there are plenty of clues..and I know mine is a face lift. :)

I thought that by 2003 the crossover was complete.?

Neil

As this car was first registered 31.03.03, I think it's highly unlikely to be a pre face lift. I agree that just in case it is the earlier spec., hold out for a face lift with all the improvements they came with.

Edited by Kev 16v

Exactly - best be safe than sorry!

But like I said, for the price of a facelift 140 you can get a pre-facelift 190. You'll have that fantastic engine and what not. You can always change the front bumper and rear lights for ones off Ebay to change the exterior to a facelift 190 then, so you're getting the best of both worlds.

But then again, a facelift 140 will have a darker, prettier dash, better dials, facelift rear lights and front bumper as standard, and a longer 6th gear ratio for quiet motorway cruising.

It's what you want out of it really mate. If you want one to be quieter and using a lot of motorway journeys, while not hugely bothered about speed, get the 140. If you wanted the 190 but just can't afford it, but can afford a facelift 140, then just get the pre-facelift 190.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.