Tsport centre caps.

cipprio

I've got some new graphics coming from mook to refurb my centre caps and I know this may sound a silly question but can I remove the caps without taking the wheels off.

Also mook gave me some advice on the refurb but can anyone who has done there's give me some dos or don'ts.

Thanks

The one tip i would note is to sand them down as much as you can, the raise TSport logo is a pain to stick a decal on top of.

And dont forget some clear lacquer on top before refitting.

Thanks. Mook did say use a base coat. I guess the better the surface the better they seat and stick.

i need to get some done for mine probably end of this month and i did say to mook the other day and once hes all sorted with the move etc he would be able to do them for me ...so you really have to remove the wheel to get the centrecaps off ...thats a weird system normally on other cars a screwdriver would pop them off lol oh well you learn a new thing everyday on here ....

• Like 1

I belive the T-Sport centre is similar to the GT ones I have. The centre is in two parts. The plastic cap (With the clips on the back) and a stuck on alloy disc with the logo.

No need to sand off the T-Sport logo. Just put a flexible blade under the edge of the alloy logo and work it round until you have cut the old adhesive (Evo-stick type). You may even be able to salvage the disc

Then scrape and sand off the residue before painting ready for the new graphics

• Like 1

I belive the T-Sport centre is similar to the GT ones I have. The centre is in two parts. The plastic cap (With the clips on the back) and a stuck on alloy disc with the logo.

No need to sand off the T-Sport logo. Just put a flexible blade under the edge of the alloy logo and work it round until you have cut the old adhesive (Evo-stick type). You may even be able to salvage the disc

Then scrape and sand off the residue before painting ready for the new graphics

My TSport ones were one piece with raised TS on the surface and the remains of the graphics on top of that but certainly one piece which needed to be sanded to get the old graphic and lacquer off prior to the new ones going on

post-45308-0-20304200-1423580036_thumb.jpg

Edited by david924s

so its quite a strong disc then

Yep. Less than 0.5mm but the curve strengthens it.

The adhesive on the GT ones hardens and becomes brown and brittle with time. Can be chemically removed from the aloy discs with Evo-stick adhesive cleaner and a lot of rags and elbow grease. Didn't want to try it on the plastic caps in case it melted them.

BUT the later Fondmetal centres use a different adhesive (Tigerseal?) which makes it a bugger to get the disc off without ruining it.

My TSport ones were one piece with raised TS on the surface and the remains of the graphics on top of that but certainly one piece which needed to be sanded to get the old graphic and lacquer off prior to the new ones going on

OK, I stand corrected. I had assumed that the T-Sport were the same construction as the GT and the Red/Black edition which also had Fondmetal wheels.

Edited by trophytr5

OK, I stand corrected. I had assumed that the T-Sport were the same construction as the GT and the Red/Black edition which also had Fondmetal wheels.

You could be right now I have re-read your message the TSport centers have the plastic bit to fit into the wheels and then a disc on top with the logo on, didn't look like it would have come off though without damaging it but probably was a two piece affair as the fronts were alloy and the rears plastic.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.