Plasti Dip bubbling - too cold?

simonhaydn

Bought some Plasti Dip to do my centre console, but doing a quick test spray this morning it came out as below. I've never used the stuff before, but I imagine it being only 5 degrees outside didn't help. As soon as it was sprayed it started to form air bubbles and usually I keep the spray cans indoors, so they start at room temperature when spraying outdoors on a cold day. I tried it on a different piece of plastic, just in case it was some weird reaction, but got a similar result.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Plastidip1.jpg

Putting the cans into a bucket of boiling water for a few minutes before use is advised with Plastidip but I personally wouldn't do any spraying this time of year. I've put all of my painting plans on hold until after Easter at least...

air was too damp, as above really need to be indoors doing it now

i been spraying this evening

I'm the last tenant this property is having before redevelopment next year

So i turned the spare room into a workshop and spray booth :D

• Like 1

Cheers,

I'll save it for a warmer day or when a spare room becomes available. I did do a rather thick coat and a bit of Googling suggests it should be a very thin first layer. Thanks, Simon.

Definitely use very thin layers certainly for the first 2, they need to set to give the next coats more to grip onto, I made the same mistake when plastidipping parts on my car, oh and warm the cans up a bit before use, luckily I sprayed in summer so just left them on the grass to warm up a touch and shook really really well, make sure you shake them loads

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.