The grass is not greener...

LucyLou

If anyone is thinking of getting rid of their Celica...be sure ;)

For the last month I've been in a variety of cars due to working away (work supply hire cars) or Angel requiring TLC at Toyota. I've been lent a Focus Turbo (never been in a 180hp car that feels so flat and slow) Hyundai i35, Auris Hybrid, Yaris and my partners TT.

Tonight I got my Celica back and I can't stop smiling, omg I've missed her...everything just feels soooo much better than all of those replacements :) Thing that shocked me most was the gear change, we all kinda moan occasionally about our Gen 7 gear changes but I was shocked how brilliant mine felt compared to all the above :) I'm actually looking forward to work tomorrow just so I can drive her again...tink I may get up early ;)

Hope u enjoy my happy tale on a Monday night, I'm off to gaze at Angel all clean and sparkly in the street lights teehee :)

Edited by LucyLou

I love my car to bits, but a couple of months ago I had an idea to get a TT instead - then I kind of came to my senses and realised I already had a great car. It's interesting to see that you've had a TT and you still love the celica a lot more. Puts my mind to rest that I've made the right choice in keeping mine!

Great to hear how much you enjoy it though :)

The TT is lovely and it is so very easy to drive. As a motorway car especially it's heavenly and I suppose if I lived on a motorway I'd prefer it over my Celica, but...it doesn't make me giggle like my Celica does. It's almost like it's too good if that makes sense? The Celica is rough around the edges and I think that gives her way more character ;)

I think the thing about the CELICA being a bit rough round the edges is part of the attraction for me. it definitely gives it more character and makes it more rewarding. It doesn't actually matter that it's not the smoothest/fastest/most powerful car on the road, it's different to practically everything on the road.

• Like 1

We all probably love our Celicas because you actually DRIVE them - as opposed to sitting in a car and pointing it in the right direction!

Definitely puts a smile on my face too - and I have the choice of driving a supercharged car if I wanted to!

• Like 1

Assuming you are all on about the Audi TT for want of look stupid lol, they are horrendous IMO. Driven loads at work and German quality my ass. Not driven the newer shape, the sleeker one. If that is the one you were all on about I apologize :D

We all probably love our Celicas because you actually DRIVE them - as opposed to sitting in a car and pointing it in the right direction!

Definitely puts a smile on my face too - and I have the choice of driving a supercharged car if I wanted to!

Thing is with all the cars I've mentioned above (with the TT maybe being an exception) is I don't feel like I was sitting in them...was more like sitting on them. At risk of sounding v old, why in all modern cars does it feel like sitting in a people carrier? Maybe its just me, but I like feeling cocooned when I'm driving not perched up. Loved my old MR2 Turbo and the Gen 6 for that, drivers seat was like my own little snug pod :)

Thing is with all the cars I've mentioned above (with the TT maybe being an exception) is I don't feel like I was sitting in them...was more like sitting on them. At risk of sounding v old, why in all modern cars does it feel like sitting in a people carrier? Maybe its just me, but I like feeling cocooned when I'm driving not perched up. Loved my old MR2 Turbo and the Gen 6 for that, drivers seat was like my own little snug pod :)

I love how low down the seats are in celicas relative to the foot well. More like a cock pit :D ^Agree with the above

...Agree...and yet.!...it's the only negative issue I have with my Celica....but it is NOT the car's fault.

I have a sciatic/hip issue (a penalty of ageing. :( ) and try as I may I just can't find a good comfortable seating position for longer runs. The more "traditional" sitting position seems to be beneficial to me..as against the low/F1 position you get with the Celica. (and NO..I do not want a 4x4 OR people carrier..lol)

I love pretty much everything about my Celica and love driving it.. but as I seem to be doing more longer cruises (ie 2 hours) it is becoming an "issue".

I'd love to have a larger/sports saloon/coupe type car for the cruises...but simply can't afford to...it's one or the other I'm afraid.!!

I'd be gutted if I had to let it go. I quite like being a hairdresser..lol.

(and yes, I've tried every permutation of seat position..plus extra cushions etc but still can't get it "right")

So..a bit of a dilemma right now.!..I might just take more ibuprofen and keep the Celi...lol

Neil

I've just come back from a weeks holiday where we hired a brand new fiesta. I was looking forward to it because the motoring press are always on about how great the fiesta is to drive. Now it seems that great to drive means easy to drive. You sit high with a great view and all the controls are so heavily assisted that it's like driving a feather. I think it was a 1.2 and there was a time in the late 90's where the 1.2 fiesta had loads of zip but it's now totally inadequate in the new car. Anyone who thinks a gen7 is gutless should drive one of these!

Most new cars are great for people who just want a car and don't really care about driving. They don't require you to do anything at all. When we got back I even enjoyed the drive back from the airport in my gf's Hyundai i10 which has more feel to it and more go with the same 82bhp power output. Imagine how much I'm looking forward to my celica fix this morning!

This seems to be a bit of an Audi TT -Celica debate , I think it is very much horses for courses , i have run an a diesel A4 avant from new ( last of the older shape and much better car than the later one) and it is great motorway and drivers car and ideal for lugging things about, However we have had a gen 6gt in the family for 8 years which has just gone back on the road after summer storage which i use for running around , it has that bit of refinement for a coupe as well as more practical space than the TT , also bullet proof reliability just coming up to 207k on the original engine and box and you can't hearing it idling the engine is so quiet. It always brings a smile back on my face every time i jump in for a spin, probably the best value car I ever bought as it has no rust after 18 years.

However if you want a real bit of fun I have just taken my ml1 Mr2 off the road for the winter, handles like a go kart , goes like a good sports car and great for the summer with the roofs out, just love it.

Toyota produced great performance cars you only have to look back over the past 40 years to see, but i do think they have lost there way in the performance sector over the last 10 years and audi grabbed the opportunity. A debate likely to run and run , depends whether you have loads of cash to buy the Audi , or you want a bit of Celica fun for a few thousand or a few hundred if its a gen 6.

Sold my celica, bought a mini, going to sell this celica, and will be buying a 350z when funds are there.

I've also contemplated going Porsche 911, and while they where nice I still prefer the 350z....

This seems to be a bit of an Audi TT -Celica debate , I think it is very much horses for courses , i have run an a diesel A4 avant from new ( last of the older shape and much better car than the later one) and it is great motorway and drivers car and ideal for lugging things about, However we have had a gen 6gt in the family for 8 years which has just gone back on the road after summer storage which i use for running around , it has that bit of refinement for a coupe as well as more practical space than the TT , also bullet proof reliability just coming up to 207k on the original engine and box and you can't hearing it idling the engine is so quiet. It always brings a smile back on my face every time i jump in for a spin, probably the best value car I ever bought as it has no rust after 18 years.

However if you want a real bit of fun I have just taken my ml1 Mr2 off the road for the winter, handles like a go kart , goes like a good sports car and great for the summer with the roofs out, just love it.

Toyota produced great performance cars you only have to look back over the past 40 years to see, but i do think they have lost there way in the performance sector over the last 10 years and audi grabbed the opportunity. A debate likely to run and run , depends whether you have loads of cash to buy the Audi , or you want a bit of Celica fun for a few thousand or a few hundred if its a gen 6.

Yes, I can recommend the Celica/MR2 combination, although mine are different gens to yours (Gen 7 Celica and Mk3 MR2). Still great fun :)

i do miss my MR2 turbo Mk2 - which soon became a 3.0ltr V6 beast! that was a fun car to drive! Mid engine rear wheel drive is a very dificult beast to tame on the edge!

and day to day i tend to drive my Evo 8 FQ340 MR if its just to nip out, as i love the boost! epic. Buuuuut. i still dont feel like its anywhere near as capable than Moo. granted i have spent a mfortune on chassi mods and set ups to get it to where its in the sweet spot. but the evo is supposed to be this all singing all dancing handeling god, but it rolls and just doesnt feel like its planted as my celica. i think with some anti roll bar upgrades, lowering springs and better tyres, she will be great. But its money i cant afford right now. also its really high driving position. i have bought some seat mounts which tilt it back and lower it slightly, but yet to fit them. My Mr2 Mk2 and the celica have both got great driving positions. Yet to actually even sit in a Supra to see what they are like, but they look epic! and go like stink! :lol:

I will Never sell Moo, she will just evolve. i know alot of people on the forums over the years i have been here and they get bored sell up, then they are back a short time later cussing the shit box they bought and why oh why did i ever let my celica go! :lol:

• Like 1

Yes, I can recommend the Celica/MR2 combination, although mine are different gens to yours (Gen 7 Celica and Mk3 MR2). Still great fun :)

How does the MK3 MR2 compare to the Celica?

Same engine but completely different layout obviously

I'm considering one as a summer/weekend/possible track car and using my Celica for daily duties

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.