Brake disc protective coating

samb079

Hi all

Im just about to purchase a set of new brake discs that come with a coloured protective finish.

But correct me if I'm wrong in thinking as soon as you brake several times the finish will eventually wear off the braking surface. Leaving a band of silver visible on either the black or gold brake disc.

So I need your opinions guys which colour would you get to go behind my wheels?

Also which colour would look best for the braided hoses?

What d'reckon?

post-45069-141441749254_thumb.jpeg

post-45069-141441812289_thumb.jpg

post-45069-141441875296_thumb.png

Yes, where the pads touch the finish will wear away. Only that area will then oxidise. As for colour that is entirely down to preference.

You have grey car so if you dont want them to stand out the silver and 18 or black and 14 followed by gold and 15.

Generally only those you run over will notice / be impressed with your colour choice, but it does beat rusty hubs for sure!

• Like 1

Just buy the plain ones and give the hub part of the disc a coat of high temp paint before you fit them, ten you can choose what colour you want as for hoses I would go for number 18 which looks like a standard stainless finish but each to their own, discs are so small and calipers not especially exciting so I just did mine black more for protection than to stand out (black engine enamel I had in the garage). If they were proper 4/6 pot calipers and decent discs that would be a different matter.

Edited by david924s

I went for the gold anti rust coating. It does come off most if the disc after a short time but will stay in the grooves, dimples if you go for those options plus the hub. I did the calipers gold too. I'd do what davis924s said and get plain and paint the hubs if you want it to match your calipers because both my calipers and hubs are gold but slightly different shades.

These are mine when I got them...

post-26411-0-51422500-1414508592_thumb.jpg

And now fitted to the car...

post-26411-0-37525600-1414508916_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I went for the mintex pads. I think there are better more expensive pads for doing track days but for the road I definately rate them.

The ones I bought are in the pic with my discs. Hth

Edited by teegt4

For the OEM look, silver coating. For something a bit different gold. For the stealth look, black :)

For the price, it's not worth getting a brush dirty or messing around masking the disc off.

Have you a colour theme going on in the car? If so try and get the hoses to match. It's subtle enough but you know they're there.

I've got No10 on my car, and No18 on the missus's. But as they're exo-skeleton cars and run through the centre you can see them so it adds a bit of a finishing touch to it.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.