Gen 7 vs gen 6 GT

most of them are known through the various clubs over here so getting one looked at might not be an issue :) there's a red one on toc Ireland that's easy the countrys best, its been owned by mods and pampered. Keep an eye on donedeal ie.com too. Not as common up the north here for some reason.

From your avatar your GT is probably one of the nicest 7s I've seen and I'd like to have one like that one day

I know the low end torque, gear ratios, interior etc might be annoying but the pros outweigh the cons and there isn't many daily drivers as good looking and all round as good as the 7. Think you should keep it for as long as you can or you might regret it, and if you still want something a bit more raw then save for something like an MR2 or gen 5/6 for the weekends :)

Edited by alex282

Thanks Alex for saying my 7 is nice,it is like a new car tbh,guy who had it from new only did 3,000 miles a year was some old guy,I doubt I'd find a better one that's for sure.

However as soul says the lift is kinda short lived it's over in about 2 seconds,and the short ratios are annoying,one thing I used to love in my old gen 6 was 3rd gear used to go on forever then same again in 4th,and the car just felt tighter in general than the 7,but as people have said it's just the age thing that's the issue which is a shame,still can't really make up my mind,but out off all of them the beams is the only gen 6 I haven't had before,so if I was going to get one I think I'd go for one of them.

Reason there is no lower end power is because that's how they managed to make it efficient. Perfect for a daily driver car because you have good reliability, mpg and running costs, decent spec, decent safety and lift is always there just in case you ever need to use it to overtake

Understand what you mean about lift though, thats why I think it would be a good idea to buy a second car like one of the ones you mention, and keep that for the weekend. And even if it needs a repair due to the age, at least you still have your daily driver and won't need to fix it straight away

I just don't like Lift thing, you really have to be driving like a looney to get the consistent power.

I think if i was buying a gen 7 for a daily I would just get a 140. the build quality is night and day, and OMG doe the gen 7 parcel shelf not half rattle like feck.

comparing GT to 190 is not hard, if you had 2 side by side in similar condition and miles you would always take the gen 6, it just was better built.

i went for the tsport because i wanted a newer car and after going from this :

1997 vauxhall calibra SE9 (last production calibra ) 188bhp 2.5 v6 engine

307063_2472201884349_801415_n.jpg?oh=9c3

1930891_1065382314739_6749_n.jpg?oh=19f1

1930891_1065381234712_9126_n.jpg?oh=162a

38795_1608337048268_4524792_n.jpg?oh=080

1997-Vauxhall-Calibra-2-5-V6.jpg

and after owning this older beast of a car it was time to replace it for a newer car and my first japanese car and as these do look good in different styling etc it was the right one to pick as i wanted the newer futuristic interior , even though i did like the look of the 6 Gen from the outside but wasnt too keen of the inside ...

The interior is important and its why as much as I love Gen 5's I'll sadly probably never have one because the interior design reminds me of my 1990 Micra. For most people I think it's very hard to go back to sitting in an older car when you've gotten used to something newer.

The interior is important and its why as much as I love Gen 5's I'll sadly probably never have one because the interior design reminds me of my 1990 Micra. For most people I think it's very hard to go back to sitting in an older car when you've gotten used to something newer.

I am the complete opposite in fact. It is somewhat of an event going back into a retro interior. Especially when the car is considered a weekend special. A Gen 6 interior is actually rather good for a car of that era. Have a sit in a classic impreza or Evo 1-6 and you will see what a bad jap interior is!

The only thing missing from a Gen 6 interior is a digital odometer with a trip computer. Better dash lights would be a bonus too but thats easily remedied.

Much prefer the gen 6 interior to the 7, esp with leather seats. The leathers in gen 7's go saggy on the bases whereas mine look nearly as good as they did when they were put in there 18 years ago.

One of the best upgrades i had for the car was the led's throughout the car and dash (by Spree) really makes a difference and modernizes the look

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.