Can I drive short distance without droplinks?

Hi all. Just a quick one. I need to cut my old droplings off in order to replace springs.

But its raining and I want to change the spring in the garage. But I have no electricity in there for my angle grinder. Can I cut them off on my driveway put the wheels back on and drive 200 yards to my garage?

Many thanks.

Jake

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Have you tried to UNDO the drop links first?

Yes you could drive with the droplinks cut, but IF you do grind them off why not just finish the job on the drive, it won't rain forever :)

Then of course there is the legal implications IF you had an accident.

Yeah I have tried and the bolts are absolutely seized.

Well, it looks like its gonna rain for the rest of the day. And I'm changing both springs so it could take me 2hrs I reckon, I've never done it before so I dont know.

do it on the drive in an hour easy mate, personally i woodnt risk the short drive. Get the raincoat on sure, just watch the electricals in the rain. copper grease the new one for the next time.

Edited by SKINY

I drove the car for two days with the droplinks cut :rolleyes: . It waws only in the city so low speeds. apart from a knock once in a while from the ARB everything was fine

Its literally 30 secs to my garage.

It is safe. The droplinks are there for stability. So unless you have 3 roundabouts on your way to the garage and you plan to take them at 40mph its fine

I drove my old celica for a couple of days without the drop links as i cut the old ones off and the new ones that arrived in the post were the wrong ones, and i needed to use the car. It was fine and i just drove normally, you can tell on some corners that it doesnt feel as good as normal.

Just dont go mad, it wil be fine!

I always just drill them out, drill into the Allen key recess until they fall apart, 10 mins tops each side, simples ;-)

Regards

Baz

And how do u drill the bottom one out? The one that faces the engine?

Good point, backs are easy, fronts I used a 90degree chuck with stubby bit, thought you were talking about the backs, sorry

Regards

Baz

Ahh ok. I've cut it of now anyway, I was just curious.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.