OBD1 Reader (gen 5 and 6)

digs

Hi, got sent a link to this device from a supra owner, anyone seen/used it ? Set up for 3sge and 3sgte (as well as other non-celica engines)

Thinkig of getting it to log what the 3sgte currently runs, really useful for base map creation, tweaking, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=zfapps.toyobd1

as need to get an android device to run it if I did, wandering if anyone has tried it ?

http://jfbreton.blogspot.ca

Edited by digs

It will require a special piece of hardware to adapt the OBD1 to bluetooth, which is mentioned as details being given in the app. Contact the guy first and find out details / price beofre comitting.

I'm planning an OBD1 to OBD 2 converter but unfortunately I'm bogged down with 'paying work', new business venture and getting cars running at the moment and still need to finish the precursor to this first (data logger / display / warning system). Realistically, work won't be quiet now until after the school summer holidays. When this is done, it will allow use of any standard OBD2 scan tool / software / app to read real time information.

Emailed now, so will see what the price of the device is :)

However, I do believe you should drop everythig and work 24/7 on your protocol slacker ;) seriously, nice work, would be really good if you can get it finished :)

Does indeed.

Mine won't be that cheap but will allow use of the wide range of apps available for OBD2, some of which do far more than the above.

it's still nice to see people prepared to provide support for our ageing vehicles, anything less than 15 years old has OBD2 as standard.

I can see a convertor being much more flexible, so will keep my eyes open on that one :)

Think I will get one for now though, and give it a test as I am curious, will report back. It has been tested on the ST205 WRC 3SGTE, though I am running the MR2 import ecu, should all be good, will give it ago!

will be good to log timing etc to understand the basemap of the 3sgte, then setting up the emanage blue, timing in particular is not logged in the emanage blue, so if tweaked going by guess work somewhat.

Does indeed.

Mine won't be that cheap but will allow use of the wide range of apps available for OBD2, some of which do far more than the above.

it's still nice to see people prepared to provide support for our ageing vehicles, anything less than 15 years old has OBD2 as standard.

Will be curious about this, as import 7's are not OBD2 either, would love to have OBD2 apps working in the 7 :D

My Beams has an OBD2 port under the dash....but so far no one has managed to 'talk' to the car through it :( It has been confirmed that it has power, but doesn't seem to put out any information. So I would guess someone started trying to install it, couldn't get it to work and gave up...probably goes some way to explaining the butchered state of all my wiring in general! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Will admit to being jealous of those with obd2!

It's arrived, so once a borrow my brothers android tablet will get it set up and report back. Like to start logging some data, and see how it's running things :)

picture of it

3E9A218C-05F6-46AA-B19F-54203C06E90F.jpg

yes, plugs into diagnostic port, then connects via bluetooth to an android device, which then displays the readings, and can log as csv.

Not sure of the functionality yet, looks like it will log;

injector %, timing, idle air control, rpm, boost, throttle position, speed, o2 reading, mpg , coolant temp.

intention is to log this and build up a base map, to help tweaking with the emanage if needed. Also check running ok as swapped.

Interesting.. What's the frequency of the information updating? AFAIK the diagnostic port can't do much..

not sure, need to get it set up and report back. Could be good, could be meh, will check out the app and csv logs and see the granuality :)

What's the frequency of the information updating?

In the first link Digs posted if you scroll through the App images one of them is a glossary of the app. Says the refresh rate on the info is 1.3 seconds, best the standard port can do.

This is the info I have on OBD 1

http://www.cdd.co.uk/stuff/TOYOTA.zip

AFAIK you need to link E1 and TE2 in the diagnostic connector to get the data flowing out.

There is a possibility this may affect engine tune slightly as a result of the extra CPU time needed to send the data, My friend Daryl ran with obd 1 logging for a while and keeps an accurate record of ecconomy on every fill up and I remember him noticing a definate trend of reduced ecconomy starting about the time he started. I will try and remember to ask him if it did appear to be the logging or if it was coincidence.

Edited by _Chris_

In the first link Digs posted if you scroll through the App images one of them is a glossary of the app. Says the refresh rate on the info is 1.3 seconds, best the standard port can do.

That's pretty slow.

indeed, from my posted link

NOTES:

- connect TE2 to E1 for data to flow from ENG (DLC2 connector)

- signal time period: T = 8.192 mS

- dataset length: 163 bits.

- number of words per dataset: 13.

- approximate baudrate: 122 bits/s

- total time per dataset: ~1.3 seconds.

This is the info I have on OBD 1

http://www.cdd.co.uk/stuff/TOYOTA.zip

AFAIK you need to link E1 and TE2 in the diagnostic connector to get the data flowing out.

There is a possibility this may affect engine tune slightly as a result of the extra CPU time needed to send the data, My friend Daryl ran with obd 1 logging for a while and keeps an accurate record of ecconomy on every fill up and I remember him noticing a definate trend of reduced ecconomy starting about the time he started. I will try and remember to ask him if it did appear to be the logging or if it was coincidence.

yeah, a lot slower than the emanage logs, which will also log injector %, boost/map voltage, revs and tps.

It's an experiment to see what/how useful the info can be. Particularly interested in timing, as that is not logged by the emanage, or temp.

Even at 1.3 secs there still should be some useful data that can be analysed, will try to get it running tomorrow if have time. With the emanage, will be interesting to log both and compare.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.