best method to unseize trailing arm hub bolts

davetrigz

Hi all

I am in the process of fitting polybush's to the rear of my ss111, now after a few weeks I have managed to get all the bits off the car and stripped down, now my rear hubs have the bolts seized that hold the trailing arms on and I really need to get these off as toyota want £406 +vat for new hubs.

I have tried heating up the hubs with a blow tourch and then hammering the bolts but all this has done is mashed up the end of the bolt and nut, I currently have wd40 filled on the inside which im sure wont work as its not a penetrating oil!!

Does anyone have any other ideas? Bigb said to work grease in to it but that will be hard when the bolt doesnt turn!!

I have encountered this a few times and these bolts are on really tight for a good reason

I use 2 breaker bars with one on one side leaning om the floor and the I use the other one to loosen the bolt.....sometimes I need a scaffolding pole too

I've already got the nut and adjustable trailing arms off its just the bolt I'm struggling with, I'm sure a vise would also help as I've tried breaker bars as well but I don't seem to have the strength to stand on the hub to keep it in place on the floor whilst trying to turn the bolt!!

Although a scaffold pole does sound like a good idea if I bolt it back on to the shock

that electric impact gun any good compared to the air powered ones?

It's about as good as an entry level air impact wrench. The air ones can cope with much higher torque, but 400Nm should be enough to undo most seized bolts, especially with a bit of penetrating oil.

Well I've had a few goes at heating them up then soaking the bolt in cold water and lots of penetrating oil, I've managed to get one of the bolts to turn using a breaker bar but only a few little cracks where it has freed slightly, I now have them soaking in the last of the penetrating oil so may have to move on to the brake fluid next!! Im definitely going to have to invest in one of those impact wrenches though. Cheers all.

Hey dave sorry to hear you your having issues with the trailing arm bolts as far as I csn remember when I had the car adex was sorting s few issues on the rear trailing arms on the driver side as if you remember I said one of the bushes on the inside arm (the one with the very long bolt that goes through subframe and arms ) it took him ages to get that undone initially a little at a time and he replaced the whole hub and arm at one point as some bolts were seized solid but if its passenger side I cant remember having any issues to need to remove that side arms

The passenger side adjustable arm had gone, I could twist the whole bar by hand!! I noticed the drivers side had been swapped as the adjustable arm was slightly different and most of the bolts came undone easily, I thought as it needs doing id replace the whole lot with a poly bush kit and has taken me since new yr to get this far and the hub bolts are now free I just have to cut one of the nuts off which got mashed up in the process!! The front passenger banana arm also needs doing which ive not got around to doing yet and again got the front poly bushes for that as well!!

Diesel and parafin mixed together is one of the oldest tricks in the book for penetrating oil - way before plusgas was on the market.

WD-40 is almost useless in comparison.

Diesel is a very funny liquid, as it tracks into gaps that are beyond tiny, like threads.

The passenger side adjustable arm had gone, I could twist the whole bar by hand!! I noticed the drivers side had been swapped as the adjustable arm was slightly different and most of the bolts came undone easily, I thought as it needs doing id replace the whole lot with a poly bush kit and has taken me since new yr to get this far and the hub bolts are now free I just have to cut one of the nuts off which got mashed up in the process!! The front passenger banana arm also needs doing which ive not got around to doing yet and again got the front poly bushes for that as well!!

Its strange the passenger one was like that as it had just gone through an mot and they were strict as the they noted advisories on dents in wheel rims and even made me change all reg plates to pass as well as brakes I had to have done too so cant see how the would have missed trailing arms , sorry to hear about it though ! But glad to hear shes being sorted and continuing to get better especialy after all that I had done on it .

To be honest I think its just wear and tear since I brought it off you, I could have just done the single bar that had gone but managed to convince the old man to get me the full poly bushes for the rear instead!!

Im definitely trying to keep it in good condition as ive already fitted poly bush engine mounts front and rear, momo wheel and still have more bits to swap over when time allows!!

Ive just got all the trailing arms back from the garage £27 to have all the bushes heated and pressed out using a 20 ton press as these had also seized in, all the parts are now painted in a anti rust prima ready to be painted in gloss black vht paint and then put back together.

Diesel and parafin mixed together is one of the oldest tricks in the book for penetrating oil - way before plusgas was on the market.

WD-40 is almost useless in comparison.

Diesel is a very funny liquid, as it tracks into gaps that are beyond tiny, like threads.

WD40 is actually quite useless as far as penetrating oils goes.

I agree, I had the back of the hubs soaking in wd40 for a week and it didnt help one bit apart from preventing the rain water from getting on it like it was designed for!! I have found wd40 is good for cleaning road salt off wheels, you just have to be careful not to get it on the discs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.