another coolant question

Akuma77

ive had a look aroundusing the search button but the start of this year i had the dreaded coolant spill its load from the radiator ,so i diagnosed it and got my mechanic to replace with a new radiator (one that was very well recommended by people on the forum) but we got the new one fitted and my mechanic never had any problem bleeding the coolant because he had the bottle as high as he could .

weve not had any issue but i had noticed recently that the coolant is just slightly under the min mark (not off the scale and i checked this morning and when the engine is hot its over the min mark im sure he put 4 litres mixed with distilled water and left me with another litre in the shed of which i could use to top up and make a mixture with.

ive not had any heat issues , i turn the blowers on and its nice and toasty but does this sound that it may just need a good topping up , im waiting to get a bright cree torch so i can have a proper look soon so i can check for any holes in the pipes.

It's possible that the level could drop very slightly even after its been bled. If your level is just under the min when cold then that's not far off normal. Perhaps just top it up a little and keep an eye on things. When the engine is cold the level is usually on or around the minimum mark.

yeah when its cold it just looks slightly off the minimim , i personally think it needs a top up especially as it was done around feb this year and ive not added any more to it , i cant see any leaks plus i used one of the good ones from coolparts (ebay guys whighly recommended)

i know when i was losing it before it was going over the min mark and i could see where it was leaking ,not sure why he didnt put the rest of the coolant in unless he thought he could let me the extra in the bottle and i could get another litre with it , he s a very sophisticated mechanic.

as hes always said a mechanics job isnt hard but if he starts to sweat then more money will go into his hand haha he did this job brilliant and he even removed everything from the front as hes a bit unorthdox .

ok guys will refill and see if this helps , do i need to fill up to max mark or not?

As you'll be topping up when cold I would go about half way between min and max, it will only take a tiny bit anyway. Someone may correct me but as far as I know if you overfill it will just blow out of the overflow pipe so no harm really.

Check it after a few miles and it will probably sit on the min when cold. As long as it stays there after that then all is well.

great i will do that and report back , i think most of the problems when this happens is mainly down to the radiator , and sometimes near water pump but no heating issues and he also did the coolant bleed no problem but i did read up some of the newer radiators take upto 7litres , would this be the case or is that only on a uprated one , i know the coolparts one looks very similar to the original one even my mate sheldon said this when he led them up by one another .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.