Magnetic sump plug.

Dunno? . . . . . but if it was just a case of sticking the magnet to the original sump plug then don't suppose the manfacturers would have bothered "crimping" a magnet into a new sump plug?

My guess is (and it is a guess) that there may not be an adhesive resistant enough for the environment it lives in,that they don't want to take the chance of the magnet dropping off inside or maybe being pulled off, as the sump plug is being removed and reattaching itself to the inside of the sump?? :shrug:

What is needed is to get the collected metal particles, on the magnet, out of the system, therefore, the magnet has to stay on the end of the sump plug so I guess that a crimp fitting is the best option.

Might be worth an experiment (not by me though !). . . . . . if anyone out there fancies it :think:

Guest Ambermile

Hmm, the neodymium ones are like shit on a blanket... and let's be fair here, if it falls of it no way going to get up to the engine is it? Was just a thought is all - the plugs you all are talking about are aluminium anyway I think?

i used to sell those aluminium ones and to be honest had nothing but issues with them as people would over tighten them, either damaging the threads or i saw a few cases the thread and internals stuck in the sump and the head snapping off flush with the surface.

I actually get ones custom made for me now out of steel that are nickel coated like OEM to prevent rusting but have the high strength magnets in the middle, easily able to support a 3/4" racket from just that tiny magnet.

I fit these to all the forged engines I've been doing now as a standard part. But i do sell them separately if anyone is interested. There £12.00 delivered to the door.

Tim

TB Developments

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.