Loose steering, pulling slightly to the left - help!

kittii13

So I went to the petrol station, all was fine.

About 30 seconds later after leaving, the steering wheel suddenly pulled to the left and the steering got really loose. I pulled over and examined the track rods/steering rack and no movement there. Got it home and noticed it wobbled under braking.

Im thinking the front left wheel bearing has worn/damaged??

Ive just been out and jacked it up to check for any excess movement in the wheels and they all feel fine. theyre spinning round fine and there doesnt seem to be any wobbling. discs are brand new (fitted about 4 months ago i think) so i wouldnt imagine theyve gone bad already

Could it be a CV joint, had a similar issue on a (cough) Vauxhall years ago.

yeah possibly. how do i check it? im not great with mechanics. it only had its mot a few weeks ago, why does it start going wrong now!!? lol

yeah possibly. how do i check it? im not great with mechanics. it only had its mot a few weeks ago, why does it start going wrong now!!? lol

I'm sorry, I'm not entirely sure, I would check google.

Edited by gen7nnb

With sally I had experience of wobbly steering and pulling. The cause was worn rear suspension bushes. Hth.

im not entirely sure but i think the bushes were all replaced for mot. ive just taken her for a drive and apart from a loud wining which i believe is because the PAS fluid is empty, she seems to be fine now. I wish my car would decide whether she's broken or not

the steering no longer feels incredibly loose and shes always very very slightly pulled to the left (either that or my steering wheel isnt on 100% straight)

steering has now changed to slightly heavy which i know is just empty PAS which I'll top up tomorrow.

I hope she doesnt die anyway, she's getting a full body wrap when I can afford it but cant chose between 2 colours...

Get her mechanically checked again properly before you spend your cash on cosmetics Kitti

Why is the PAS empty?

i no longer have a local Bek anymore and im not sure Id trust anyone else to look at her. But yes I will get it all sorted before the wrapping, its gonna be about a year or so until I have spare money anyway, and I have no idea if I'll still have her then.

I have a small PAS leak (like most gen 5s) and I just havent got round to topping it up yet, Im gonna do that tomorrow and see if the whining stops. I can always take her off the road until I have the money to sort her, Ive actually got somewhere to store her now

That's not so bad then,if the PAS leak is the main high pressure hose like the gen4s suffer from its not horrendous money to get a new one made up,though its refitting it.Like you say you need another Bek. (is such a thing possible?)

That's not so bad then,if the PAS leak is the main high pressure hose like the gen4s suffer from its not horrendous money to get a new one made up,though its refitting it.Like you say you need another Bek. (is such a thing possible?)

to be honest the pas leak doesnt bother me. its only small and i think its always been there since i got the car in 2010.

nah, there's only one bek, he's worth throwing some petrol money at to get him over here though

True enough,true enough. Just noticed you're Paignton now,been in Devon over the Bank holiday visiting family in Dunsford nr Exeter,they all went to Paignton for the day yesterday,i should've come out of the pub and come and said hello :lol:

True enough,true enough. Just noticed you're Paignton now,been in Devon over the Bank holiday visiting family in Dunsford nr Exeter,they all went to Paignton for the day yesterday,i should've come out of the pub and come and said hello :lol:

yeah i moved about 2 months ago down here. yes you should have done!! lol i live practically next door to the best pub in paignton :)

the steering no longer feels incredibly loose and shes always very very slightly pulled to the left (either that or my steering wheel isnt on 100% straight)

Its not 100% straight no, but while on that subject check tyre presures and one of your back ones (I forget which) will want doing very soon

Its not 100% straight no, but while on that subject check tyre presures and one of your back ones (I forget which) will want doing very soon

so whining is no PAS fluid

pulling to left is tyre pressures

everything else is probably my car's way of telling me to stop driving at 110mph everywhere

so whining is no PAS fluid

pulling to left is tyre pressures

everything else is probably my car's way of telling me to stop driving at 110mph everywhere

yes maybe and yes

Edited by Ghoulscout
  • Like 1

Regrettably my mechanical knowledge can be written on a stamp.........

without getting the Queen's face dirty :( . If you can't get one of the crew down and you need something fixed then

I get my work done by Simon at Westhill Garage, top of Chatto Road in Torquay. He's the owner and hubby of one of our secretaries.

Tell him I sent you and you will be looked after. He is usually busy though. Good garages that don't rip you off are!

Regrettably my mechanical knowledge can be written on a stamp.........

without getting the Queen's face dirty :( . If you can't get one of the crew down and you need something fixed then

I get my work done by Simon at Westhill Garage, top of Chatto Road in Torquay. He's the owner and hubby of one of our secretaries.

Tell him I sent you and you will be looked after. He is usually busy though. Good garages that don't rip you off are!

thanks, thats brilliant. Im off to Torquay halfords in a bit to get some PAS fluid and see what that sorts out. I think it just needs a bit of normal maintenance, i never check any oil levels or tyre pressures or anything like that

I shall definately pop in and see him at some point :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.