Hot & Cold Air Intake

The fixing bracket on my AEM CAI has torn out. I am really surprised how thin the metal is.

Ghetto Rigged to get home (at work at the minute), repair options of maybe using JB Weld or something like that, i don't know any welders who would takle such thin aluminium.

i will probably revisit the hole bracket / fixing solution, the original "cushy" mount may be too stiff. I think a mount from the engine block would be a better option as there should be no conflict between moving and fixed components then.

Unable to load pictures from work PC.

Edited by Ownleemee

Yeah I did :)

Its a common problem the rubber mount is too firm and causes stress on the metal fixing so it cracks. I ended up replacing mine with a Japspeed intake and its alreet :)

Wouldnt advise going for a SRI after seeing my intake temperatures :lol:

I'm just trying to source an injen CAI now. But for cheap rather than the 200+ that they usually want for it :lol:

Wouldnt advise going for a SRI after seeing my intake temperatures :lol:

I'm just trying to source an injen CAI now. But for cheap rather than the 200+ that they usually want for it :lol:

'kin eck, that,s a lot of dough for the Injen, thats confirmed I will repair rather than replace.

I really must sort out a Photobucket account so it's easier to upload pictures, I have a repair in mind that if it works wold be worth sharing.

Amys AEM recently did the same before i went away, i covered the hole with duct tape for now!! :lol:

That's what I have done with some super sticky rubber under it as well, then an "L" bracket and a jubille clip to pick up the original mount ! Not pretty but hopefully when I get round to the proper repair it will look tidy. As I said earlier, I want to mount from the engine block so the movement is not restricted by connection to the chassis, just seems to make more sense to me.

Hopefully this post should contain some after & before pic's.

There was a useful unused threaded fixing stub on the CAI tube which I used to mount a bracket from there to a close by pipe bracket mounted on the block,I also used a new larger metalastic mount. I have left the duct tape on for now as I want to make sure the new bracket works O.K. for a few weeks.

If it works fine I will then cut the original bracket off of the piece of tube that tore out and use the piece of tube and some JB Weld to repair the hole.DSC_0812_zpsaa09a48f.jpg

DSC_0809_zpsb8a5e0f1.jpg

Edited by Ownleemee

Don't know how good JB weld, how it dries etc. but rather than risk the possibility of a piece coming off and being sucked into the engine, would it be easier to cut the AEM at the tear and fit a silicone hose around it?

I have a lot of faith in JB Weld, I repaired a crack in my Fireblade engine with it !

I understand your concern with the repair piece being ingested but it does not fit right trough the hole and once I am ready to fit the piece back in, if there is any doubt I will wrap aluminium around it with rubber under it, without the original torn off piece.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.