The gen gt was body kitted up and top of the range. If choose a 350z that has nissan bodykit added price is not similar any more. I.e. compare apples with apples.

The cabriolet pricing was stupid though :)

Even with a bodykit and fancy seats though it imo was trying to steal sales in a segment where it was up against far more talented rivals.

As said from my time at a main dealer Toyotas main customer base was from existing owners upgrading - and with the gen 6 and especially the gen 7 we found that the male in the family was usually a successful person who would run a Lexus or Landcruiser and buy a gen 6 GT / gen 7 for his wife.

Its now harder for Toyota to bring in customers as they have not a car in the sports car segment since the MR2 and Celicas demise.

As said im not slating the product as im Toyota through and through but the quality of the modern Toyotas from say 99 on has fallen considerably.

But everyone knows that and the new president seems to be desprate to change that perception by improving this.

I hope that they in time have a similar line up to the hey days of the 90's when the Mr2 and celica were big sellers and then you had the halo model Supra - wether it happens who knows but would be nice

I think the idea behind the GT86 was pretty clear, this is a fun rear wheel drive car that looks good (well, in my opinion) and is not about speed, but about handling. Of course there will be aftermarket gubbins to make them go faster, but I want one and look forward to grabbing one in 3 or 4 years:)

Question is, are they going to bring out the Supra version, which seems to be the one everyone is expecting this one to be!

edit: err, what johny said!

Edited by digs

You cannot compare new and 2nd hand prices. New cars will always look overpriced.

Agree with the statement of it being a new car and the guy not wanting to thrash it, I'd say only in the last year I've really started taking my g7 to the red line and that's because I'm surprised its still running.

Im quite shocked by the poor 0-60 time for the GT86, espesh at 25k. An Abarth 500 135bhp has a 0-60 of 7.9 and the 595's 160bhp with a 7.4 0-60. they come in 5-10k cheaper and still a fun drive apart from the fact its still a Fiat lol

Erm the manual is rated at 7.6, I think the flappy paddle version of the 86 of which I have seen a few of are specced at a 0-60 of 8.2 secs which is a pretty sad no matter how it handles :(

I have had a straight line with one off a slip road on the M27 and it couldn't keep up and I am running a bog standard tsport.

P.S I do get it is all about the corners....but....

A car's claimed 0-60 (more than likely done on a perfectly dry test track under ideal conditions) is relevant for what? 0.001% of the situations you're likely to encounter in real life.

They're great for grabbing headlines & impressing 12 year olds, most definitely, but as I don't drive everywhere by caning it up to 60 before emergency stopping & then repeating ad nauseum I couldn't give a chuff really.

Big power is the easy way for people to go fast.

Any idiot can buy a powerful car & mash the loud pedal (as Audi/BMW/Land Rover drivers prove on an hourly basis on motorways across the country).

Now I know everyone thinks they're a driving god & all that, but it's extremely doubtful than anyone you know that has ever said "I need more power" has already fully exploited what power they do have (racers &track day junkies excepted).

Cash can't buy you skill unfortunately, but luckily for the un-gifted but well-endowed of wallet, it does buy big f*ck-off turbos.

As for the g6/g7 versus GT86 comparisons, well a RWD drivetrain will always sap more power than a FWD one so maybe people should start comparing WHP figures, as it's a fair bet that an 86 has a damn sight less ponies making it to terra fima.

Edited by Adex

A car's claimed 0-60 (more than likely done on a perfectly dry test track under ideal conditions) is relevant for what? 0.001% of the situations you're likely to encounter in real life.

They're great for grabbing headlines & impressing 12 year olds, most definitely, but as I don't drive everywhere by caning it up to 60 before emergency stopping & then repeating ad nauseum I couldn't give a chuff really.

Big power is the easy way for people to go fast.

Any idiot can buy a powerful car & mash the loud pedal (as Audi/BMW/Land Rover drivers prove on an hourly basis on motorways across the country).

Now I know everyone thinks they're a driving god & all that, but it's extremely doubtful than anyone you know that has ever said "I need more power" has already fully exploited what power they do have (racers &track day junkies excepted).

Cash can't buy you skill unfortunately, but luckily for the un-gifted but well-endowed of wallet, it does buy big f*ck-off turbos.

As for the g6/g7 versus GT86 comparisons, well a RWD drivetrain will always sap more power than a FWD one so maybe people should start comparing WHP figures, as it's a fair bet that an 86 has a damn sight less ponies making it to terra fima.

This!!

When most people say to me "I need more power"....i just think....drive down a forest stage at 100mph with trees 6 feet either side and then say you need more power! 50bhp would be more than enough for most drivers in that scenario!

It's not a dig at anyone.....I mean that :) ....it's just that in the real world on public roads if you can wring a GT86's neck then you should be looking at a works drive.......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.